Dot product of basis vectors in orthogonal coordinate systems

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 17K views
FrogPad
Messages
801
Reaction score
0
I'm doing a series of questions right now that is basically dealing with the dot and cross products of the basis vectors for cartesian, cylindrical, and spherical coordinate systems.

I am stuck on [itex]\hat R \cdot \hat r[/itex] right now.

I'll try to explain my work, and the problem I am running into as well as I can. It's somewhat difficult to do since I can't draw pictures, but...

Ok, first the notation being used is:

Cylindrical: [itex](r,\phi,z)[/itex]
Spherical: [itex](R, \phi, \theta )[/itex]

First, the dot product of any two unit vectors, say [itex]\hat A[/itex] and [itex]\hat B[/itex] will be: [itex]\hat A \cdot \hat B = \cos \theta_{AB}[/itex]

So my trouble is finding the angle between [itex]\hat r[/itex] and [itex]\hat R[/itex]. I know that [itex]\phi[/itex] does not affect this angle, so it really comes down to [itex]\theta[/itex].

So let's say [itex]\theta = 0[/itex], then [itex]\theta_{rR}[/itex] would be 90 degrees right?

Now say [itex]\theta = 45\,\,deg[/itex], then [itex]\theta_{rR}[/itex] would be 45 degrees right?

Now say [itex]\theta = 135 \,\,deg[/itex], then does [itex]\theta_{rR}[/itex] equal 45 degrees?

I'm not sure how to deal with measuring the angle between the two vectors when [itex]\theta[/itex] causes [itex]\hat R[/itex] to point below the x-y plane.

I hope this makes sense. Any help would be nice. Thanks :)
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's probably easier to go at this problem from the point of view [itex]\vec{A}\cdot \vec{B}=A_xB_x+A_yB_y[/itex] rather than [itex]\vec{A}\cdot \vec{B}=ABcos(\theta_{AB})[/itex]

In the partcular case [tex]\hat{R}\cdot \hat{r}[/tex], try expressing [tex]\hat{R}[/tex] in cylindrical coordinates*. If you can do that, then the dot product will be obviously just the r-component of [tex]\hat{R}[/tex]!

*If you struggle too long on this, it is because you're not using the easiest approach.. I'll give you a hint if you need one.
 
Last edited:
The [itex]\hat r[/itex], in cylindrical coordinates, is just the projection of the [itex]\hat R[/itex], in spherical coordinates, projected onto the xy-plane. Since [itex]\phi[/itex] is the "co-latitude", the angle [itex]\hat R[/itex] makes with the z-axis, the angle you want, between [itex]\hat R[/itex] and [itex]\hat r[/itex] is the complement of that [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}-\phi[/itex].
 
Thanks quasar987 for pointing me in the right direction. I didn't really struggle on the problem. I actually posted it, went up to the store and got some food, ate it and fell asleep :smile: I had every intention of working on it last night, but sleep got the best of me. Good looking out though :approve:

I ended up solving it (I think?) by finding the scalar projection of [itex]\hat R[/itex] on the x-y plane in the direction of [itex]\hat r[/itex], and the [itex]\hat z[/itex] component along the cylinder with another projection in the direction of [itex]\hat z[/itex].

I ended up with,

[tex]\hat R = \hat r \sin \theta + \hat z \cos \theta[/tex]
(in cylindrical coordinates)

Thus, the dot product [itex]\hat R \cdot \hat r = \sin \theta[/itex]

HallsofIvy: I appreciate the help :smile: I think what you are saying is a confirmation of what I found. Does everything look ok?
 
Last edited:
[itex]\sin\theta[/itex] is my answer too. (Or in cartesian coordinates, [itex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}/\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}[/itex])

Though if you want an honest answer to "Does everything look ok?", I'd answer that when you wrote...

[tex]\hat R = \hat r \sin \theta + \hat z \cos \theta[/tex]
(in cylindrical coordinates)

I'm not sure this is correct. In my understanding of the term "coordinates", what you wrote is [itex]\hat R[/itex] in spherical coordinates in the [itex]\hat{r},\hat{\phi},\hat{z}[/itex] (cylindrical) basis.

But I could easily be wrong! Anyone can comment on that?
 
quasar987 said:
I'm not sure this is correct. In my understanding of the term "coordinates", what you wrote is LaTeX graphic is being generated. Reload this page in a moment. in spherical coordinates in the LaTeX graphic is being generated. Reload this page in a moment. (cylindrical) basis.

I'm very glad you expressed the concern in my wording. I see where you are coming from. It is definitely not accurate for me to say "in cylindrical coordinates" while the variable [itex]\theta[/itex] is in use for the basis vector.