Dot product within the commutator

In summary: DIn summary, the author is discussing the commutation relation between spin operators for atoms J and J-1 in the context of ferromagnetism. Through the use of the cross product and the algebra of spin operators, it is shown that the expression on the left hand side of the equation can be simplified to the expression on the right hand side. The use of the Levi-Civita symbol is also mentioned as a simpler method for expressing the cross product.
sheelbe999
So I am reading a book on ferromagnetism, the author writes

[tex]\left[S_J,S_{J-1} \cdot S_J\right] = S_J cross S_{J-1}[/tex]

(I couldn't get the cross product x in latex code for some reason)

Where [tex]S_J[\tex] and [tex]S_{J-1}[\tex] are the spin operators for atoms j and j-1.

I was wondering how one gets from the left hand side of the equation to the right hand side.

Thanks in anticipation

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the x component of the commutator.
Expand the dot product as L_xS_x+L_yS_y+L_zS_z.
Use [S_x,S_y]=iS_z, etc.
Recognize [tex]i(L\times S)_x[/tex].

I think L comes from orbital angular momentum. But it can't happen, because it's only a matter of spins in this problem.

dextercioby said:
I think L comes from orbital angular momentum. But it can't happen, because it's only a matter of spins in this problem.

I think he just used L because the spin at another site is acting on another subsystem (i.e. another atom). The overall behaviour is similar to composing angular momentum and spin together, as the angular momentum and spin can be treated as two separate subsystems.

In any case, to prevent confusion, I wrote down a component to illustrate the case more clearly.

[tex]

\begin{eqnarray*}
[S_{J,x},S_{J-1,x}S_{J,x}+S_{J-1,y}S_{J,y}+S_{J-1,z}S_{J,z}] & = & S_{J-1,x}[S_{J,x},S_{J,x}]+S_{J-1,y}[S_{J,x},S_{J,y}]+S_{J-1,z}[S_{J,x},S_{J,z}]\\
& = & S_{J-1,y}[S_{J,x},S_{J,y}]+S_{J-1,z}[S_{J,x},S_{J,z}]\\
& = & S_{J-1,y}(iS_{J,z})+S_{J-1,z}(-iS_{J,y})\\
& = & i(S_{J-1,y}S_{J,z}-S_{J-1,z}S_{J,y})\\
& = & i(S_{J-1}\times S_{J})_{x}\end{eqnarray*}

[/tex]

the sub indices x, y, z refer to the components of the vector. The first thing to note is that the commutator in the question is actually a set of 3 operator equations (i.e. a vector of operator equations). So the above only broke down the x component of the commutator. This may be confusing to some people who have not done it before, so I feel like I should point it out.

Also, we also need to know that if an operator are acting on different subsystems (or the different atoms J and J-1 in this case), then they mutually commute, so you can swap the order of their relevant operators without consequence.

Otherwise, it is just an application of the algebra of spin operators.

hi sheelbe999! :smile:
sheelbe999 said:
(I couldn't get the cross product x in latex code for some reason)

[noparse][tex]\times[/tex][/noparse] :wink:

dextercioby said:
I just used L to represent an independent vector to avoid subscripts i and j. Actually L does not have to be a spin or angular momentum vector. The identity is true for any vector L.

Wow! thank you so much for such helpful responses! Problem solved! :)

This is the type of problem that proves that it's worthwhile to get familiar with the Levi-Civita symbol, and how to use it to express cross products and the commutation relations for spin operators:

[tex]\big[S_J,S_{J-1} \cdot S_J\big]=e_i\big[(S_J)_i,(S_{J-1})_j (S_J)_j\big]=e_i(S_{J-1})_j\big[(S_J)_i,(S_J)_j\big]=e_i(S_{J-1})_j i\varepsilon_{ijk}(S_J)_k=iS_{J-1}\times S_J[/tex]

Fredrik said:
This is the type of problem that proves that it's worthwhile to get familiar with the Levi-Civita symbol, and how to use it to express cross products and the commutation relations for spin operators:

[tex]\big[S_J,S_{J-1} \cdot S_J\big]=e_i\big[(S_J)_i,(S_{J-1})_j (S_J)_j\big]=e_i(S_{J-1})_j\big[(S_J)_i,(S_J)_j\big]=e_i(S_{J-1})_j i\varepsilon_{ijk}(S_J)_k=iS_{J-1}\times S_J[/tex]
Is that really simpler than post #2?

clem said:
What I wrote is the calculation that Meir Achutz described in #2 and bobbytkc posted in #4, but for all 3 components instead of just one.

Last edited:
clem said:

It is indeed much simpler, if you are familiar with the notation. In my elementary solution, the OP still needed to perform the same calculations for the y and z components to completely prove that it is a cross product.

bobbytkc said:
It is indeed much simpler, if you are familiar with the notation. In my elementary solution, the OP still needed to perform the same calculations for the y and z components to completely prove that it is a cross product.
You don't have to. Just use cyclic substitution. That is what is nice about vectors. If you prove it for V_x, it is also true for V_y and V_z, as long as there is no preference for direction.

We would at least have to add a comment about it, if the calculation is to be read by someone else. It would look something like this:

The fact that the only property of the operators Sx, Sy, Sz that we have used is in the form of an equality that remains true when we make the substitutions x→y→z→x (once or twice), the result we got will also remain true when we make the same substitutions there.

I do that by writing [S_x,S_y]=iS_z, and cyclic.

That's of course fine in your own notes, but I doubt you would write that in a book or an article, or even in an exam.

I have seen it in a textbook.
I don't write it in my own notes because it is obvious. If there is no preferred direction, I could have called any direction x.

1. What is the dot product within the commutator?

The dot product within the commutator is a mathematical operation that is used to determine the similarity or difference between two vectors. It involves multiplying the corresponding components of two vectors and then adding the results together. The result is a single scalar value that represents the magnitude of the two vectors in relation to each other.

2. How is the dot product within the commutator calculated?

The dot product within the commutator is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of two vectors and then adding the results together. For example, if we have two vectors A = [a1, a2, a3] and B = [b1, b2, b3], the dot product within the commutator would be calculated as (a1 * b1) + (a2 * b2) + (a3 * b3).

3. What is the purpose of using the dot product within the commutator?

The dot product within the commutator is used to determine the similarity or difference between two vectors. It can also be used to calculate the angle between two vectors, as well as to project one vector onto another. It is a useful tool in various scientific and mathematical applications, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

4. What is the difference between the dot product within the commutator and the cross product?

The dot product within the commutator and the cross product are two different mathematical operations used to manipulate vectors. The dot product results in a scalar value, while the cross product results in a vector. Additionally, the dot product is commutative, meaning the order of the vectors does not change the result, while the cross product is anti-commutative, meaning the order does affect the result.

5. Can the dot product within the commutator be negative?

Yes, the dot product within the commutator can be negative. This occurs when the angle between the two vectors is greater than 90 degrees. When the angle is exactly 90 degrees, the dot product will be 0, and when the angle is less than 90 degrees, the dot product will be positive. The sign of the dot product is important in determining the relationship between the two vectors, such as whether they are perpendicular or parallel.