Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Double delta-function potential

1. Oct 22, 2011 #1
    My session expired while typing this post, so this is my second attempt at typing it. I *always* forget to paste into notepad before submitting these darned things.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Problem 2.27, Griffiths.

Given two delta potential wells at +a and -a, determine the number of bound states, find their associated energies, sketch the wave functions.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]V(x) = -\alpha\left[\delta\left(x+a\right)+\delta\left(x-a\right)\right][/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

This is the first problem in the book where I really do not know where to begin. I know that the answer has to be in some form of exp(kt) where k is sqrt(-2*m*E)\hbar.

I vaguely understand the book's process for the logic behind constructing the wave function for a single delta potential well, but clearly not well enough.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Start by solving the Schrodinger equation in the three regions x<-a, -a≤x≤a, and x>a.

4. Oct 22, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the assistance. All I had to do was solve for a 0 potential and pay attention to the boundary conditions (continuous function, discontinuous derivative by a specific value).

The hard part, after that, was not getting lost in the algebra. I still don't quite understand how to solve for the energy, though. I ended up with two equations that needed numerical solving, one for the even wave function, and one for the odd wave function.

Overall, this problem was a real curve ball, and the specific questions this problem asked were far more confusing to me than any of the others.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook