Double integral bounded by closed parametric curve

In summary, when finding the area under a function f[x,y] bounded by a closed parametric curve x[t],y[t], a change of variables cannot be used and instead a double integral is required. However, this only works with functions where the curve is given explicitly such as y[x] or x[y]. When the boundary is given by a parametric curve, Green's theorem can be used to find the area as a path integral.
okkvlt
question:

how do i find the area under f[x,y] bounded by a closed parametric curve x[t],y[t]? it doesn't look like i can use a change of variables. it seems as though double integrals only with functions where the curve is given explicitly such as y[x] or x[y].

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi okkvlt! :smile:
okkvlt said:
how do i find the area under f[x,y] bounded by a closed parametric curve x[t],y[t]? it doesn't look like i can use a change of variables. it seems as though double integrals only with functions where the curve is given explicitly such as y[x] or x[y].

I don't understand … what double integral? :confused:

The area is a single integral … ∫y dx, or ∫y[t] x'[t] dt.

thats a typo i meant

how do i find the area under f[x,y] bounded by a closed parametric curve x[t],y[t]? it doesn't look like i can use a change of variables. it seems as though double integrals only work with functions where the curve is given explicitly such as y[x] or x[y].

what about when the boundary is given by a parametric curve?

Use Green's theorem:
[tex]\int P(x,y)dx+ Q(x,y)dy= \int\int \left(\frac{\partial Q}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial P}{\partial y}dxdy[/tex]
Taking Q(x,y)= y so that [itex]\partial Q/\partial y= 1[/itex] and P(x,y)= 0 so that [itex]\partial P/\partial x= 0[/itex] and
[tex]Area= \int\int dxdy= \int y dx= \int y(t) (dx/dt)dt[/tex]
just as tiny-tim said! But notice this is a path integral, not an integral over an area.

For example, if x= cos(t) and y= sin(t), with t going from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex] (this is a circle of radius 1 with center at (0,0)), (dx/dt) dt= -sin(t) dt and ydx= -sin^2(t) dt. The area is
[tex]\int_{t=0}^{2\pi} -sin^2(t)dt= -\frac{1}{2}\int_0^{2\pi}(1- cos(2t))dt[/tex]
[tex]= (1/2)(2\pi)= \pi[/tex]

1. What is a double integral bounded by closed parametric curve?

A double integral bounded by a closed parametric curve is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the area between a parametric curve and the x-y plane. It involves integrating a function over a region that is defined by a parametric equation.

2. How is a double integral bounded by closed parametric curve different from a regular double integral?

A regular double integral is used to find the area under a two-dimensional function, while a double integral bounded by a closed parametric curve is used to find the area between a parametric curve and the x-y plane. This requires a different approach and involves using parametric equations to define the bounds of integration.

3. What are the steps for calculating a double integral bounded by closed parametric curve?

The first step is to convert the parametric equations into rectangular form. Then, determine the bounds for the double integral by setting the parameters equal to the upper and lower limits. Next, integrate the function with respect to the x and y variables. Finally, evaluate the double integral using the bounds determined earlier.

4. What are some real-world applications of double integrals bounded by closed parametric curves?

One application is in physics, where it can be used to determine the work done by a force on a particle moving along a curved path. It is also used in engineering to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object with a curved boundary. Additionally, it has applications in computer graphics and animation to determine the area of complex shapes.

5. Are there any limitations to using double integrals bounded by closed parametric curves?

One limitation is that it can only be applied to parametric curves with continuous derivatives. Additionally, it may be difficult to determine the bounds of integration for complex parametric curves. It is also important to choose the correct orientation of the curve when setting up the double integral, as this can affect the final result.