1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integral bounds after polar transformation

1. Dec 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Basically I'm just trying to convert a double integral into polar coordinates, but when I do it I get confused with my bounds.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

(x and y are just numbers, not variables). Then I transform the integral given polar coordinates [tex]u=r\cos\theta, v=r\sin\theta[/tex] and I get

[tex]4\int_a^b\int_c^d e^{-r^2}(r\cos\theta)^{2x-1}(r\sin\theta)^{2y-1}rdrd\theta=4\int_a^b\int_c^d e^{-r^2}r^{2(x+y)-1}\cos^{2x-1}\theta\sin^{2y-1}\theta drd\theta[/tex].

I know that [tex]a=0,b=\infty,c=0,d=\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] so that the integral bounds are [tex]\int_0^{\infty}\int_0^{\pi/2}f(r,\theta)rdrd\theta[/tex], but I can't seem to understand the reasoning behind the bounds. Thanks for your help!
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2008 #2
    In the uv-plane, the integral is over the first quadrant. Graph this region and describe it in terms of polar coordinates:

Since the region extends infinitely, the radius r goes from 0 to infinity. Since the angle [tex]\theta[/tex] is 0 on the positive u-axis and [tex]\pi/2[/tex] on the positive v-axis, [tex]\theta[/tex] goes from 0 to [tex]\pi/2[/tex].

So your bounds don't match up with their respective variables.
  4. Dec 9, 2008 #3

Staff: Mentor

5. Dec 9, 2008 #4
    Hrm, okay thank you. Are you saying that it's supposed to be [tex]\int_0^{\pi/2}\int_0^{\infty}f(r,\theta)rdrd\theta[/tex] rather than what I've put? Because I'm splitting this up into the product of integrals rather than evaluating the double integral for itself, so I get

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}e^{-r^2}r^{2(x+y)-1}dr\cdot\int_0^{\pi/2}\cos^{2x-1}\theta\sin^{2y-1}\theta d\theta[/tex] in order to prove that [tex]\Gamma(x)\Gamma(y)=\Gamma(x+y)B(x,y)[/tex].
  6. Dec 10, 2008 #5

Staff: Mentor

Yes, because that's from the order in dr dtheta.
    If you want to integrate in the reverse order, I think that will work, too, because of the uncoupled nature of your f(r, theta), which can be written as g(r) * h(theta). That will, of course, switch the limits of integration.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?