Double integral, cylindrical coordinates

In summary, the problem states that to evaluate the integral \iiint_V \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2} \,dx\,dy\,dz where V is the region bounded by the plane z = 3 and the cone z = r, use cylindrical coordinates. However, when trying to solve the integral, the limits given are for a cylinder, not a cone.
Ed Aboud

Homework Statement

The problem states: Use cylindrical coordinates to evaluate

[itex] \iiint_V \sqrt{x^2 +y^2 +z^2} \,dx\,dy\,dz [/itex]

where V is the region bounded by the plane [itex] z = 3 [/itex] and the cone [itex] z = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} [/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex] x = r cos( \theta ) [/itex]
[itex] y = r sin( \theta ) [/itex]
[itex] z = z[/itex]

[itex] dV = dx dy dz = r dz dr d \theta [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Changing to cylindrical coordinates:

[itex] \iiint_V r \sqrt{r^2 +z^2} \,dz\,dr\,d \theta [/itex]

The limits are:

[itex] 3 \le z \le r [/itex]
[itex] 0 \le r \le 9 [/itex] ?
[itex] 0 \le \theta \le 2 \pi [/itex]

I'm not sure how to tackle this integral. Attempting to evaluate it in mathematica returns an error too. To me, this question would be easier to solve using spherical polar coordinates, but the question states cylindrical.

One thing to note, [itex] \sqrt{r^2 +z^2} = R [/itex] is the equation for a sphere of radius R, in cylindrical coordinates. Not sure if this may play a part in the solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
First think about your boundaries! In your cylinder coordinates they are given by the plane [itex]z=3[/itex] and the cone [itex]z=r[/itex]. Thus for each [itex]z[/itex], from where to where runs [itex]r[/itex]? What's the maximal value of [itex]r[/itex]? Note that first integrating over [itex]r[/itex] and then over [itex]z[/itex] is simpler than the other order!

Thanks for your reply!

So am I correct in saying:

[itex] 3 \le r \le 9 [/itex] ?

Correction:

[itex] 3 \le r \le z [/itex] ?

Apologies but I still can't get it to work out. My limits are:

[itex] 3 \le r \le z [/itex]
[itex] 3 \le z \le r [/itex]

I'm fairly sure this is wrong, but can't figure out the correct ones

Just make a drawing to show you the region. Than it's easier to read it off. As far as I understand the question, the region should be the interior of a cone of height 3.

So I plotted it out, and by inspection I concluded that the limits are:

[itex] 0 \le r \le 3 [/itex]
[itex] 0 \le z \le 3 [/itex]

However, I can't get past the integral:

[itex] \iiint_V r \sqrt{r^2 + z^2} \,dr\,dz\,d \theta [/itex]

gives

[itex] \iint_V \frac{1}{3} (r^2 + z^2)^(3/2) \,dz\,d \theta [/itex]

integrating this out i got really odd answers with inverse hyperbolic sines so I'm guessing it's probably wrong

Ed Aboud said:
So I plotted it out, and by inspection I concluded that the limits are:

[itex] 0 \le r \le 3 [/itex]
[itex] 0 \le z \le 3 [/itex]

Don't those limits describe a cylinder, not a cone?

What is a double integral in cylindrical coordinates?

A double integral in cylindrical coordinates is a type of integral used to calculate the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space. It is represented by two variables, typically denoted as r and θ, and is used when the surface being integrated over is best described in cylindrical coordinates.

How do you convert a double integral from rectangular coordinates to cylindrical coordinates?

To convert a double integral from rectangular coordinates to cylindrical coordinates, you can use the following formulas:

r = √(x² + y²) and θ = tan⁻¹(y/x), where r represents the distance from the origin to a point in the xy-plane, and θ represents the angle between the positive x-axis and the line segment connecting the origin to the point.

What is the Jacobian in the context of a double integral in cylindrical coordinates?

The Jacobian is a mathematical concept used to convert between different coordinate systems. In the context of a double integral in cylindrical coordinates, the Jacobian represents the ratio of the volume elements in the two coordinate systems and is used to account for the change in units when converting from rectangular to cylindrical coordinates.

What is the relationship between a double integral in cylindrical coordinates and a triple integral?

A double integral in cylindrical coordinates is equivalent to a triple integral in rectangular coordinates, as both are used to calculate the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space. The main difference is that the double integral is calculated over a region in the xy-plane, while the triple integral is calculated over a region in three-dimensional space.

What are some real-world applications of double integrals in cylindrical coordinates?

Double integrals in cylindrical coordinates are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the volume under curved surfaces, such as the volume of a cone or cylinder. They are also used in solving problems related to fluid dynamics and electromagnetism, as well as in calculating moments of inertia and center of mass for objects with cylindrical symmetry.