1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integral in polar form: how do you find the boundaries?

1. Mar 24, 2009 #1
    Hi I need to use a double integral to find the area of the region bounded by:

r = 3 + 3sinQ where Q = theta.

I know the bounds of the inner integral are from 0 to 3 + 3sinQ.

However, I do not know how to determine the bounds of the outer integral.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2009 #2
    The outer integral is just a typical single-variable polar integral. Play with the equation to figure out when the behavior of r begins to repeat itself as theta varies, paying particular attention to the periodic nature of sine. Perhaps a polar graph might help.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  4. Mar 24, 2009 #3
    Ok, well I know that once theta = 2pi, the behavior of of sinQ will repeat itself. Should I then plug in 2pi to the equation and work with that?

I know the value of sinQ becomes zero again at pi. Does this mean the outer boundary is from 0 to pi?

5. Mar 24, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

0 to pi, although you can exploit the symmetry of the figure by doubling the value you get integrating from 0 to pi/2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook