Double Integral Volume Problem

In summary, the problem is to find the volume of the solid enclosed by the cylinders z=x^2, y=x^2, and the planes z=0 and y=4. The solution involves using double integrals with the limits of integration being x=0 to x=2 and y=0 to y=4. However, the limits of integration for x should be from -sqrt(y) to +sqrt(y) in order to account for all four quadrants. The correct answer is 128/15.
p3hr

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid enclosed by the cylinders z=x^2, y=x^2, and the planes z=0 and y=4.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

∫∫ x^2 dA

For the limits of integration, I obtained y=x^2 and y=4, x=0 and x=2

I changed the order of integration and obtained x=y^(1/2) and x=0, y=0 and y=4.

∫0 to 4 ∫0 to y^(1/2) x^2 dxdy

(1/3) * ∫0 to 4 (y^(3/2)) dy

1/3*[(2/5)(4)^(5/2)]

= 64/15

I am not sure where I am going wrong. The back of the book says it's 128/15 though. In fact, for a few problems I've got (1/2)*the correct answer for these problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are only doing the volume in the first quadrant (where x>0). x should run from -sqrt(y) to +sqrt(y).

I had a feeling that's what was going wrong. Thank you.

What is a double integral volume problem?

A double integral volume problem is a type of mathematical problem in which the goal is to find the volume of a three-dimensional region using a double integral. This problem involves calculating the area under a surface in the xy-plane, where the surface is defined by a function in terms of two variables, x and y.

What is the difference between a single integral and a double integral volume problem?

A single integral involves finding the area under a curve in one dimension, while a double integral involves finding the volume under a surface in two dimensions. In other words, a single integral is a 2D problem, while a double integral is a 3D problem.

What is the process for solving a double integral volume problem?

The first step is to set up the limits of integration for both variables, x and y. Then, evaluate the inner integral with respect to y and treat x as a constant. Next, evaluate the outer integral with respect to x. The final result will be the volume of the 3D region bounded by the surface and the xy-plane.

What are some real-life applications of double integral volume problems?

Double integral volume problems are commonly used in physics and engineering, such as calculating the volume of a fluid in a container or the mass of an object with varying density. They are also used in economics and finance to calculate the volume of a stock market or the area under a demand curve.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a double integral volume problem?

One common mistake is setting up the limits of integration incorrectly, which can result in an incorrect volume calculation. Another mistake is not understanding the relationship between the variables and the function, leading to an incorrect setup of the integrals. It is also important to double-check the algebraic manipulations and calculations in each step to avoid errors.