1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Double Integral Volume Problem

1. Sep 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use double integrals to find the volume of the region in the first octant (x, y, z all more than or equal to zero) bounded by the vertical plane 2x + y = 2 and the surface z = x2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm having major problems visualizing this, which is stopping me from even getting started.

z = x2 I think I can visualize by itself.

But the plane is confusing me. My prof taught us that to sketch a plane, you find the zeros of the equation. So setting y and z to zero, we find the plane crosses the x axis at 1 and similarly the y axis at 2. But then the plane would be horizontal, not vertical...

Help?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, the plane crosses the x axis at 1 and the y axis at 2. It doesn't cross the z axis at all. Doesn't that make it parallel to the z axis? I.e. vertical?

4. Sep 8, 2010 #3
    Oh, for some reason I was visualizing it passing through the z axis at x = 0. But okay, now I see it.

I think the setup is going to be ∫∫ x 2 dA.

I'm not really sure how the bounds on the integral here work though. Usually I draw a diagram and look at what shape the "base" should have in the xy plane. It kind of looks like it should be a triangle of some kind, but I'm not sure.

Maybe a triangle with vertices (1, 0), (0, 0) and (0, 2)?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  5. Sep 8, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are definitely right about that triangle. And sure, integrate z (i.e. x^2) over it.

6. Sep 8, 2010 #5
    I figured out the equations for the sides of the triangle and then did the double integral like normal. It worked. Thanks!!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook