Double integration of circles, spheres etc

In summary: Now, you want to integrate over the semicircle with radius a. So you change the limits to \int_{x = -a}^{x = a} dx \int_{y = 0}^{y = a} dy \left[ (x + 2)y \right]_{y = 0}^{y = a}= \int_{x = -a}^{x = a} dx \left[ (x + 2)y \right]_{y = 0}^{y = \sqrt{a}}= \left[ (x + 2)\sqrt{a} \right]_{y = 0}^{y = a}= \left
Lil_Margie

Homework Statement

So I have three questions. The first one is the double integration of x+2 from y=0 to y=sqrt(9^2-x^2). The second question is the double integration of sqrt(r^2-x^2-y^2) where the domain is in the circle of radius R and origin 0. And the last question is the double integration of ax^3+by^3+sqrt(a^2-x^2), where xis from -a to a and y is from -b to b. Please no polar coordinates!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I drew a semicircle where the radius was 3. The x is therefore from -3 to 3. And the y can be simplified to be from 0 to 3*pi, since the outer border of the semicircle is half the circumference, which is 2*pi*r. So, (2*pi*3)/2 is 3*pi. Therefore x is from -3 to 3 and y is from 0 to 3*pi. After I integrated, first with respect to y, then to x, I got 36*pi. But the textbook answer is 9*pi. Why?

2. I don't really know where to start. I just know that I'll have z^2+x^2+y^2=r^2 and that on the xy plane z=0 so I have x^2+y^2=r^2 which is one of the boundaries. So I can have the boundaries 0≤y≤sqrt(r^2-x^2) and -r≤x≤r, say if I'm only focusing on the semicircle which lies on the xy plane. But after that I don't know what to do!

3. I first simplified the formula by noticing the sqrt part can be drawn as a semicircle, with radius a. This means that the circumference of that semicircle will be 2*pi. So I can put in 2*pi and get rid of the sqrt equation. Then by integrating first with respect to y, then to x, and using the boundaries I mentioned, I get 4*a^2*b*pi. I don't know how to get rid of the 4!

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lil_Margie said:
The x is therefore from -3 to 3. And the y can be simplified to be from 0 to 3*pi, since the outer border of the semicircle is half the circumference, which is 2*pi*r.

This is where you go wrong. You can't have fixed limits for y here, because it is from 0 to the border of the circle, and that depends on x. You need to integrate w.r.t. y first, which is trivial because the integrand does not depend on it, then plug in the y-limits, which are functions of x, then integrate by x.

2. I don't really know where to start.

The integral over the entire circle is the sum of the integrals over its semicircles. And you already know how to tackle those.

3. I first simplified the formula by noticing the sqrt part can be drawn as a semicircle, with radius a.

No, this is completely wrong. The area of integration is a rectangle, not a circle (unless you change coordinates). The area makes things simple in the sense that the limits of integration are constant, so the double integral becomes trivial. Just integrate w.r.t. one variable first, assuming the other is constant, then integrate by the other one.

No sorry I don't understand. Could you specifically say what boundaries I would have to use? I don't see how I'd use the y-limits for the first question as you said, unless I use polar coordinates which I'm not supposed to do, because this question is part of a set with rectangular coordinates only.

For the first case, you have this: [tex]

\int_{x = -3}^{x = 3} dx \int_{y = 0}^{y = \sqrt{9-x^2}} (x + 2)dy

[/tex] You first integrate with respect to y: [tex]

\int_{x = -3}^{x = 3} dx \int_{y = 0}^{y = \sqrt{9-x^2}} (x + 2)dy

= \int_{x = -3}^{x = 3} dx \left[ (x + 2)y \right]_{y = 0}^{y = \sqrt{9-x^2}}

= \int_{x = -3}^{x = 3} dx (x + 2)\sqrt{9-x^2}

[/tex] This is on ordinary definite integral.

1. What is double integration of circles and spheres?

Double integration of circles and spheres is a mathematical technique used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional shape by integrating over two variables, typically x and y. It involves breaking down the shape into small, infinitesimal pieces and summing them up to find the total volume.

2. How is double integration used in real-world applications?

Double integration of circles and spheres has many practical applications, such as in the fields of physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to calculate the volume of a liquid in a container, the surface area of a curved object, or the total cost of production for a given product.

3. What are the steps involved in double integration of circles and spheres?

The first step is to set up the double integral by determining the limits of integration for each variable. Then, the integral is solved by using appropriate integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts. Finally, the result is multiplied by a scaling factor to account for any units or conversions needed.

4. What are some common mistakes made in double integration of circles and spheres?

One common mistake is forgetting to account for the scaling factor, leading to an incorrect final answer. Another mistake is using the wrong limits of integration, which can result in an incorrect volume calculation. It's also important to pay attention to any changes in units or coordinate systems when setting up the integral.

5. Are there any alternative methods to double integration for finding the volume of a three-dimensional shape?

Yes, there are other methods such as triple integration, which involves integrating over three variables, and the use of geometric formulas for specific shapes. However, double integration is a commonly used and efficient method for many shapes, making it a valuable tool for scientists and engineers.