Understanding Double Quantifiers and Sets with Epsilon

• Thread starter eclayj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the proposition (p) states that for any number ε greater than 0, there exists at least one element in the set S that is less than ε. The sets A, B, C, and D are then evaluated to see if they satisfy this condition, with A being the only set that satisfies it due to its elements approaching 0 as n approaches infinity. B does not satisfy it because its elements are restricted to whole numbers, while C satisfies it because it includes set A. Set D also satisfies it due to the restriction on ε.
eclayj

Homework Statement

Determine if the sets A, B, C, and D satisfy the following proposition (p) for the set S:

Homework Equations

p: for all ε > 0, ∃ x [itex]\in[/itex] S such that x < ε

A = {1/n : n [itex]\in[/itex] Z+}
B = {n : n ε Z+}
C = A [itex]\cup[/itex] B
D = {-1}

The Attempt at a Solution

I am looking for a little help in reading/interpreting the mathematical statements with double quantifiers and "ε," I have always had terrible trouble understanding what these mean (I have never quite understood the formal definition of a limit for example).

Let me attempt to explain how I understand proposition p, for example, and how it would relate to set A, B, C, and D. Then please tell me if I am off the mark.

For p, after I read it a few times I interpreted it as a condition requiring the set to contain at least one element, x, that is less than some number ε, where that number ε can be made arbitrarily close to 0. The only set I could visualize that would allow for this is a set that contains elements which get arbitrarily close to 0 (if the set does not contain negative numbers), or a set which contains negative numbers.

A satisfies this condition because the members of its set approach 0 as n approaches infinity. So, no matter what epsilon you choose, you can always find a smaller x value in set A

B does not satisfy this condition, because you can choose 0 < ε < 1, but the elements of this set are restricted to whole numbers, and therefore all elements in set B [itex]\geq[/itex] 1

A [itex]\cup[/itex] B satisfy p b/c it includes set A, the elements of which approach 0 as n approaches infinity (i.e., get infinitely close to 0).

Finally set D trivially satisfies condition p b/c condition p restricts the choice of ε > 0, and the only element of set D is < 0

Physics news on Phys.org
eclayj said:

Homework Statement

Determine if the sets A, B, C, and D satisfy the following proposition (p) for the set S:

Homework Equations

p: for all ε > 0, ∃ x [itex]\in[/itex] S such that x < ε

A = {1/n : n [itex]\in[/itex] Z+}
B = {n : n ε Z+}
C = A [itex]\cup[/itex] B
D = {-1}

The Attempt at a Solution

I am looking for a little help in reading/interpreting the mathematical statements with double quantifiers and "ε," I have always had terrible trouble understanding what these mean (I have never quite understood the formal definition of a limit for example).

Let me attempt to explain how I understand proposition p, for example, and how it would relate to set A, B, C, and D. Then please tell me if I am off the mark.

For p, after I read it a few times I interpreted it as a condition requiring the set to contain at least one element, x, that is less than some number ε, where that number ε can be made arbitrarily close to 0. The only set I could visualize that would allow for this is a set that contains elements which get arbitrarily close to 0 (if the set does not contain negative numbers), or a set which contains negative numbers.

A satisfies this condition because the members of its set approach 0 as n approaches infinity. So, no matter what epsilon you choose, you can always find a smaller x value in set A

B does not satisfy this condition, because you can choose 0 < ε < 1, but the elements of this set are restricted to whole numbers, and therefore all elements in set B [itex]\geq[/itex] 1

A [itex]\cup[/itex] B satisfy p b/c it includes set A, the elements of which approach 0 as n approaches infinity (i.e., get infinitely close to 0).

Finally set D trivially satisfies condition p b/c condition p restricts the choice of ε > 0, and the only element of set D is < 0

That sounds just fine.

1. What are double quantifiers?

Double quantifiers are a type of logical operator used in mathematics and computer science to describe relationships between sets. They are composed of two quantifiers, such as "for all" and "there exists", and are used to make statements about all elements within two sets.

2. How are double quantifiers used in set theory?

In set theory, double quantifiers are used to indicate the existence of elements that satisfy a particular condition. For example, the statement "for every x in set A, there exists a y in set B such that x is greater than y" can be represented using double quantifiers as ∀x∈A, ∃y∈B, x > y.

3. What is the difference between universal and existential quantifiers?

The universal quantifier, denoted by ∀, is used to make statements about all elements within a set. It indicates that a statement is true for every element in the set. The existential quantifier, denoted by ∃, is used to make statements about the existence of at least one element in a set that satisfies a given condition.

4. Can double quantifiers be used together?

Yes, double quantifiers can be combined to make more complex statements about the relationship between two sets. For example, the statement "for all x in set A, there exists a y in set B such that x is less than or equal to y" can be represented using double quantifiers as ∀x∈A, ∃y∈B, x ≤ y.

5. What are some common misconceptions about double quantifiers?

One common misconception is that double quantifiers can only be used in mathematics. However, they can also be applied in other fields, such as computer science and linguistics, to describe relationships between sets. Another misconception is that the order of the quantifiers does not matter, when in fact, the order can greatly affect the meaning of a statement.