1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Quantifiers and Sets

1. Feb 27, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine if the sets A, B, C, and D satisfy the following proposition (p) for the set S:

2. Relevant equations

p: for all ε > 0, ∃ x [itex]\in[/itex] S such that x < ε

A = {1/n : n [itex]\in[/itex] Z+}
    B = {n : n ε Z+}
    C = A [itex]\cup[/itex] B
    D = {-1}

3. The attempt at a solution

I am looking for a little help in reading/interpreting the mathematical statements with double quantifiers and "ε," I have always had terrible trouble understanding what these mean (I have never quite understood the formal definition of a limit for example).

Let me attempt to explain how I understand proposition p, for example, and how it would relate to set A, B, C, and D. Then please tell me if I am off the mark.

For p, after I read it a few times I interpreted it as a condition requiring the set to contain at least one element, x, that is less than some number ε, where that number ε can be made arbitrarily close to 0. The only set I could visualize that would allow for this is a set that contains elements which get arbitrarily close to 0 (if the set does not contain negative numbers), or a set which contains negative numbers.

A satisfies this condition because the members of its set approach 0 as n approaches infinity. So, no matter what epsilon you choose, you can always find a smaller x value in set A

B does not satisfy this condition, because you can choose 0 < ε < 1, but the elements of this set are restricted to whole numbers, and therefore all elements in set B [itex]\geq[/itex] 1

A [itex]\cup[/itex] B satisfy p b/c it includes set A, the elements of which approach 0 as n approaches infinity (i.e., get infinitely close to 0).

Finally set D trivially satisfies condition p b/c condition p restricts the choice of ε > 0, and the only element of set D is < 0
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That sounds just fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted