Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doubt regarding PLL 565 free running frequency

1. Mar 13, 2013 #1
    Hi PF,
    I am trying out LM565 PLL IC and designed the basic circuit for checking free running frequency f0 (2.5 KHz). I verified the f0 by not giving any input signal (input pin floating, should I GND it ??)

Now the problem is that while sweeping the frequencies up and down the free running frequency doesn't come inside the capture range. :confused:

What to do now?

-Devanand T

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2013 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I expect it should be grounded.
    How did you come to conclude this?

4. Mar 14, 2013 #3
    Because I designed the PLL with f0 = 2.5 KHz. I verified with the waveform through oscilloscope. But the capture range doesnot include the f0 when tried. I tried the experiment as in explained in

http://www.edaboard.com/thread283028.html#post1210267

f0 doesnot comes inside frequencies A and C

5. Mar 14, 2013 #4

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Read the section on loop filter and capture range.
    If your loop is intentionally made slow, to give a narrow capture range, it'll be slow to lock and you may sweep across its whole capture range before it locks.

Start with values that give a wide capture range. And of course stop the sweep when lock is achieved.

actually it'll have a phase difference - that's how the phase detector develops an error signal for the VCO.... probably ~90 degrees when locked at F0

Watching it "lock in" first time is a real thrill. Be sure to use chop mode so it'll show true phase releation.

You might experiment with a LM567. It gives a logic output when lock is achieved that can light a LED for you.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook