Frequency Multiplier problem for a guitar tuner

In summary, the physics student is designing a guitar tuner that uses a microphone to input the sound played on the string and low-pass filters to filter out higher harmonics. He has used a crystal oscillator at 32768Hz and divided it down to give him 1 second pulses. He is having difficulty with the +/-1 count ambiguity of a frequency counter of this style and needs to be counting to 2 decimal places. He has tried researching using a PLL (phase-locked loop) but I don't think he understands which components and values he needs to get it to work. Someone please help him.
steveyesterda
hello everyone

I am a physics student who is currently writing his dissertation on designing a guitar tuner.
So far I have designed my circuit to have a microphone that inputs the sound played from the string. Then a 6 way switch connected to low-pass filters filters out the unwanted higher harmonics. I have used a crystal oscillator at 32768Hz and divide it down to give me my 1 second pulse and used a commparator to change my input string frequency to a square wave.

The problem I am having is with the +/-1 count ambiguity of a frequency counter of this style. Currently, if I were to count that signal I would only be able to determine the unknown frequency to 1Hz, not accurate enough for a guitar tuner. I need to be counting to 2 decimal places, so my plan was to multiply this frequency by 100, but this is where I become stuck.

I have tried researching using a PLL (phase-locked loop) but I don't really understand which components and values I need to get this to work. Can someone please help me. :(

Or if anyone knows of an IC that would do this job for me, that would be even better! I have looked at this frequency multiplier
http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1174449-ic-pll-freq-multiplier-28-tssop-sn65lvds150pwr.html
but i don't know if that will give me the desired multiplication or if it i would need to add any other components to make this work.

Thanks PhysicsForum, any help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
1hz sensitivity is enough, I think.
commertial tuners are sensitive to about 0.5 hz.
1 hz is fair for an amateur design.

hey, thanks for your reply.

Problem is, i have stated already that the human ear can tell the difference in frequency of about 5cents which on the low E string of a guitar corresponds to about 1/4Hz, an accuracy I need to be able to replicate.

Is there not a simple way to just increase the frequency x10 twice?

Thanks

steveyesterda, cool project.

It sounds like you're on the right track.

Of course, you could get to 1/4 Hz accuracy by triggering on the up and down portions of the square wave then sampling for 2 seconds, but I suppose you want even better than 1/4 Hz (plus faster sampling). PLL sounds like the way to go, I don't know component specifics, but there's got to be sample frequency counter (essentially what you're building) schematics out there. Best of luck, steveyesterda.

Rather than use a PLL (and being completely ignorant of your design) can you just use a higher-frequency crystal for your time-base? Even the internal oscillator of most microcontrollers can be calibrated fairly well, assuming fairly consistent voltage, and temperature.

EDIT: And welcome to PhysicsForums!

1. What is a frequency multiplier problem for a guitar tuner?

A frequency multiplier problem for a guitar tuner is when the tuner is not accurately detecting the correct frequency of the guitar string. This can result in the guitar being out of tune and can affect the overall sound quality.

2. How does a frequency multiplier problem occur?

A frequency multiplier problem can occur due to a variety of reasons such as a faulty tuner, incorrect tuning settings, or interference from other electronic devices. It can also occur if the guitar itself is not properly tuned.

3. How can I fix a frequency multiplier problem on my guitar tuner?

To fix a frequency multiplier problem, you can try recalibrating your tuner, checking for any loose connections or damaged parts, and making sure your guitar is properly tuned. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to replace the tuner or seek professional help.

4. How can I prevent a frequency multiplier problem from happening?

To prevent a frequency multiplier problem, it is important to regularly maintain and tune your guitar, use a high-quality tuner, and avoid placing your guitar near other electronic devices that may cause interference. It is also important to handle your guitar with care to avoid any damage that may affect its tuning.

5. Can a frequency multiplier problem be fixed without replacing the tuner?

In some cases, a frequency multiplier problem can be fixed without replacing the tuner. However, if the issue persists or is caused by a faulty tuner, it may be necessary to replace it. It is best to consult a professional if you are unsure of how to fix the problem.