1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doubts on angular momentum [master's degree exam]

1. Sep 3, 2015 #1
    • Homework template is missing; originally posted in non-homework forum
    Two hollow spheres, both the mass and radius R M , which are rotating around a center of mass ( CM ) , with an initial period To, are kept distant from each other by an ideal wire with a distance of 8R. At a given instant a motor is driven by wrapping the wire and making the two spheres meet. Consider the inertia moment motor despicable , and disregard the effects of gravity . Express all your results in terms of M, R and To. Consider the angular momentum of the spherical shell 2 / 3MR2

a) determine the angular momentum of the system relative to the center of mass of time before the engine is started .

b ) determining the angular velocity of rotation at the time when a ball contacts the other

I Solved the a) like this

L = I.w
    L = (2/3 MR²) . (2π(4R))/T0.(4R)
    L = (4/3 MR²)/ T0

that's the angular momentum for 1 shell. multiply that by 2 to get the angular momentum to the sistem.

L = (8/3 MR²)/T0

But I can't solve the B part. I've tried everything I could, but I cant make the angular velocity at the contact situation in terms of T0.

Help plz ;)....
    sorry about my english. I'm not fluent.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2015 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You need the moment of inertia of each sphere about the axis of rotation. Use the parallel axis theorem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted