Calculating Momentum of a Thrown Ball of Dough - Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter mortho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary: I am sorry for the delay in response. In summary, the problem involves finding the momentum of a ball of dough that is thrown straight up into the air with an initial velocity of 24 m/s. The question asks to find the momentum at its maximum height and halfway to its maximum height on the way up. The equation for momentum is P=mv, but the attempt at a solution involved trying to find the final velocity using the equations Vf=ft/m or Vf=sqrt(2ax), but these were not successful due to missing variables.
mortho
Dough"s Momentum

Homework Statement

A 0.14 kg ball of dough is thrown straight up into the air with an initial velocity of 24 m/s.

a)Find the momentum of the of dough at its maximum height.
b)Find the momentum of the ball of dough halfway to its maximum height on the way up.

Homework Equations

P=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay this problem sounds easy so i straight plugged in (0.14*24) but that wasn't right. so i tried figuring out Vf and use that but in order to find Vfinal i don't have Force for Vf=ft/m so i tried squareroot 2ax but i don't have a either. I am so lost . Please help. THanks

Physics news on Phys.org
sorri no one seemed to be responding when i was posting this and i really needed to get this solved ..so i changed the title .

mortho said:
sorri no one seemed to be responding when i was posting this and i really needed to get this solved ..so i changed the title .

Please keep in mind that this is not a service rendered by a paid staff. The people helping out in the Homework Forum are volunteering their time and a lot of them are students or other people in academic settings. That will mean right now that there are relatively fewer of them online since they are still on winter break. (I myself am not a student, but the university I'm at won't start classes again for two more weeks...) Waiting a few hours for a reply under these circumstances is not unusual, although this place has gotten noticeably livelier since Tuesday.

What is momentum?

Momentum is a physics concept that refers to the quantity of motion of an object. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

Why is it important to calculate the momentum of a thrown ball of dough?

Calculating the momentum of a thrown ball of dough can help us understand its motion and predict where it will land. It can also help us determine the amount of force needed to catch or stop the ball.

What are the steps to calculate the momentum of a thrown ball of dough?

The steps to calculate the momentum of a thrown ball of dough are:

1. Measure the mass of the ball of dough in kilograms (kg).
  2. Measure the velocity of the ball of dough in meters per second (m/s).
  3. Multiply the mass and velocity together to get the momentum in kilogram meters per second (kg*m/s).

What units are used to measure momentum?

The standard unit for momentum is kilogram meters per second (kg*m/s). However, it can also be measured in other units such as gram centimeters per second (g*cm/s) or pound feet per second (lb*ft/s).

How is momentum related to the mass and velocity of an object?

Momentum is directly proportional to both the mass and velocity of an object. This means that as the mass or velocity of an object increases, its momentum also increases. Additionally, momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, which are determined by the mass and velocity of the object.