Downloading Data for Access SQL

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data Sql
In summary: I don't know that it really matters which SQL platform you are most comfortable with. If you are familiar with one, you should be familiar with them all.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all,
I want to do some Access SQL queries on some data. Do I need to have the data in some special format/extension to be able to "use it" , meaning do queries on it within Access SQL?
Thanks

Likes atyy
Technology news on Phys.org
I imagine you have to design a table in Access and import your data into the table. Sometimes people will export data from a spreadsheet to CSV format and then use the cvs format to import into Access. However, MS may have a more direct route.

Once inside Access then you can issue SELECT statements to retrieve and sort, group or summarize your data.

https://support.office.com/en-sg/ar...o-Access-90c35a40-bcc3-46d9-aa7f-4106f78850b4

and on SQL

https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...d-syntax-444d0303-cde1-424e-9a74-e8dc3e460671

Likes atyy and WWGD
Thanks, Jedishfru. A really simpleton (i.e., dumb) question: Is access just one of many "platforms" for SQL? I know SQL is the (main) language used to query relational databases, is this correct that Micro Access is just one of many platforms, others being Oracle (only other one I know)?

Likes atyy
Yes, SQL is the language for accessing relational data ie data stored in tables that are linked together by keys. One SQL statement is a program in itself in the hands of a master SQL programmer.

Some common relational databases are IBM DB/2, Oracle, and MS SqlServer. There are other popular ones including MySql, H2 Database ...

Here's a list of major vendors:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relational_database_management_system

Likes atyy and WWGD
Versions of Microsoft Access 2010 and earlier can use ODBC to attach directly to data in a Microsoft SQL Server (or other ODBC-compliant) databases. Also, there are tools for importing Excel data to Access.

I cannot refrain from mentioning, however, how limited and clumsy Access SQL is. Microsoft SQL Server's T-SQL is much more powerful, and local versions of that database are free and easy to work with. I despise despise despise Access SQL, after 9 years of working both with it and T-SQL.

harborsparrow said:
Versions of Microsoft Access 2010 and earlier can use ODBC to attach directly to data in a Microsoft SQL Server (or other ODBC-compliant) databases. Also, there are tools for importing Excel data to Access.

I cannot refrain from mentioning, however, how limited and clumsy Access SQL is. Microsoft SQL Server's T-SQL is much more powerful, and local versions of that database are free and easy to work with. I despise despise despise Access SQL, after 9 years of working both with it and T-SQL.

Thanks ,Harborsparrow. How well does knowledge of Access SQL transfer to the other SQL platforms?

WWGD said:
Thanks ,Harborsparrow. How well does knowledge of Access SQL transfer to the other SQL platforms?

It's all SQL--but I don't really know. I am mainly familiar with T-SQL and Access SQL, and have used Oracle SQL just a little. I believe that T-SQL is closer to the standard, but I could be wrong. I can't bring up a code example right now, but there were a few things that were significantly more difficult, if not impossible, in Access SQL. Access itself may be part of the problem; it wasn't easy to had unique (primary) keys to tables that didn't already have them, for starters. I also missed having stored procedures. My workplace hired a guy who liked Access SQL, and whenever possible, I gave that work off to him, but I did come across these differences. I don't think I'm hungry enough to take a job working with Access and its version of SQL all the time.

1. What is "downloading data for Access SQL"?

"Downloading data for Access SQL" refers to the process of transferring data from a source into a Microsoft Access database using SQL (Structured Query Language) commands. This allows for efficient and organized storage of large amounts of data for analysis and manipulation.

2. How do I download data for Access SQL?

To download data for Access SQL, you can use the SQL SELECT statement to retrieve specific data from a source, such as a spreadsheet or another database. Then, you can use SQL INSERT, UPDATE, or DELETE statements to add, modify, or delete data in your Access database.

3. What are the benefits of downloading data for Access SQL?

Some benefits of downloading data for Access SQL include efficient data storage, the ability to manipulate and analyze large amounts of data, and the ability to create relationships between different data sets. This can be useful for data analysis, reporting, and decision-making.

4. Are there any limitations to downloading data for Access SQL?

One limitation of downloading data for Access SQL is that it requires some knowledge of SQL programming. This may be a barrier for users who are not familiar with SQL. Additionally, Access databases have a size limit of 2 GB, so large data sets may need to be split into multiple databases.

5. What are some best practices for downloading data for Access SQL?

Some best practices for downloading data for Access SQL include using meaningful field names, properly formatting data, and creating relationships between data sets. It is also important to regularly back up your Access database to prevent data loss.