Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Downloading Data for Access SQL

1. Aug 18, 2015 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi all,
    I want to do some Access SQL queries on some data. Do I need to have the data in some special format/extension to be able to "use it" , meaning do queries on it within Access SQL?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I imagine you have to design a table in Access and import your data into the table. Sometimes people will export data from a spreadsheet to CSV format and then use the cvs format to import into Access. However, MS may have a more direct route.

Once inside Access then you can issue SELECT statements to retrieve and sort, group or summarize your data.

https://support.office.com/en-sg/ar...o-Access-90c35a40-bcc3-46d9-aa7f-4106f78850b4

and on SQL

https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...d-syntax-444d0303-cde1-424e-9a74-e8dc3e460671

4. Aug 18, 2015 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, Jedishfru. A really simpleton (i.e., dumb) question: Is access just one of many "platforms" for SQL? I know SQL is the (main) language used to query relational databases, is this correct that Micro Access is just one of many platforms, others being Oracle (only other one I know)?

5. Aug 19, 2015 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Yes, SQL is the language for accessing relational data ie data stored in tables that are linked together by keys. One SQL statement is a program in itself in the hands of a master SQL programmer.

Some common relational databases are IBM DB/2, Oracle, and MS SqlServer. There are other popular ones including MySql, H2 Database ...

Here's a list of major vendors:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relational_database_management_system

6. Aug 26, 2015 #5

harborsparrow

Gold Member

Versions of Microsoft Access 2010 and earlier can use ODBC to attach directly to data in a Microsoft SQL Server (or other ODBC-compliant) databases. Also, there are tools for importing Excel data to Access.

I cannot refrain from mentioning, however, how limited and clumsy Access SQL is. Microsoft SQL Server's T-SQL is much more powerful, and local versions of that database are free and easy to work with. I despise despise despise Access SQL, after 9 years of working both with it and T-SQL.

7. Aug 26, 2015 #6

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks ,Harborsparrow. How well does knowledge of Access SQL transfer to the other SQL platforms?

8. Aug 26, 2015 #7

harborsparrow

Gold Member

It's all SQL--but I don't really know. I am mainly familiar with T-SQL and Access SQL, and have used Oracle SQL just a little. I believe that T-SQL is closer to the standard, but I could be wrong. I can't bring up a code example right now, but there were a few things that were significantly more difficult, if not impossible, in Access SQL. Access itself may be part of the problem; it wasn't easy to had unique (primary) keys to tables that didn't already have them, for starters. I also missed having stored procedures. My workplace hired a guy who liked Access SQL, and whenever possible, I gave that work off to him, but I did come across these differences. I don't think I'm hungry enough to take a job working with Access and its version of SQL all the time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook