Drag coefficient question

In summary, the conversation is about finding a vector form for the path of a baseball that is hit at a height of 3 ft with an initial speed of 165 ft/sec and an angle of 10 degrees from the horizontal. The linear drag coefficient is given as k = 0.38 and the gravitational acceleration is 32 ft/sec^2. The equations used to solve for the vector form are provided, and the person is struggling with eliminating the t variable in the equations. They are also unsure of the purpose of eliminating the parameter in the solution of the problem.
SYoungblood

Homework Statement

A baseball is hit at a height of 3 ft off thte ground. It leaves the bat with an initial speed of 165ft/sec, at an angle of 10 degrees from the horizontal. The linear drag coefficient is k=0.38; gravitational acceleration is 32 ft/sec^2

Homework Equations

[/B]
Find a vector form for the path of the baseball using these equations for linear drag,

x=V(sub)o/k (1- e^-kt) cos 10

y=(sub)o +V(sub)o/k (1- e^-kt) sin 10 + (g/k^2)(1- kt- e^-kt)

What is a vector form for the path of the baseball? Use only rational numbers in the expression as coefficients for the i and j vectors

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Oh my, I am lost in the sauce on this one…

x=165/0.38(1 - e^-0.38t) *cos 10 = 427.61389 (1 - e^-0.38t)

y= 3 + 165/0.38(1 - e^-0.38t)*sin10 + 32/0.1444(1 + 0.38t - e^0.38t) = 3 + 81.8627(1 - e^-0.38t)+ 221.6066(1 + 0.38t - e^0.38t)

Well, I combined the constants, but how to get rid of the t variable in the equation is something that I simply am not seeing, any and all help is appreciated.

Once I get the vector equation, then my problem asks for things I assume are fairly standard for this type of equation, time in flight, range of the hit ball, does it clear the fence z feet away. That is all fairly straightforward, but have mercy, I have never seen this drag coefficient before and this is proving a tough starting block.

SY

Physics news on Phys.org
The i and j position vectors (or x and y, if you prefer) are parametric equations in t. I don't think, given the nature of these equations, you can eliminate the parameter t. Besides, what purpose would elimination of the parameter serve in the solution of this problem anyway?

SteamKing said:
The i and j position vectors (or x and y, if you prefer) are parametric equations in t. I don't think, given the nature of these equations, you can eliminate the parameter t. Besides, what purpose would elimination of the parameter serve in the solution of this problem anyway?

That was a thought that crossed my mind, and the only purpose I can see was that it answered the question on my homework. All the followup problems stem from it.

I think I will just write this off as a loss and drive on.

Thanks just the same,

SY

Last edited:

1. What is drag coefficient?

Drag coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that represents the resistance of an object to motion through a fluid, such as air or water. It is a measure of how easily a fluid flows around an object, with a lower drag coefficient indicating less resistance and better aerodynamic performance.

2. How is drag coefficient calculated?

The drag coefficient is calculated by dividing the drag force acting on an object by the product of the fluid's density, the object's reference area, and the square of the object's velocity. This calculation can be done experimentally in a wind tunnel or through computer simulations.

3. What factors affect drag coefficient?

The drag coefficient of an object is influenced by several factors, including its shape, surface roughness, velocity, and the properties of the fluid it is moving through, such as density and viscosity. Additionally, the presence of other nearby objects can also affect the drag coefficient.

4. How does drag coefficient impact vehicle design?

The drag coefficient plays a crucial role in vehicle design, particularly in the automotive and aerospace industries. A lower drag coefficient can result in improved fuel efficiency, better handling and stability, and reduced noise and vibration. Therefore, designers aim to minimize the drag coefficient of vehicles to optimize their performance.

5. Can drag coefficient be reduced?

Yes, the drag coefficient can be reduced through various methods, such as using streamlined shapes, adding aerodynamic features like spoilers and fins, and applying smooth, low-friction coatings to the surface of the object. Additionally, careful design and engineering can also help to reduce the drag coefficient of vehicles and structures.