Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drag equation using wind to create 3d graph (Again)

1. Mar 6, 2013 #1
    Hey guys, I am back again with a drag related question, earlier I posted a thread asking how I could incorporate wind into a drag equation of sorts to create a 3d graph that shows the trajectory of a projectile.

The help I received helped me add head winds and tail winds, however I am now having problems adding side winds.

I know this will only be easy using a sphere because the cross-sectional area will be the same from any angle.

For some reason when I change the wind speed the graph completely flops sides. For example if I have a wind striking my projectile from the right, or from a 90 degree angle, at 15mph (6.7056m/s) it will show the projectile being pushed 4m to the left, however if you change the speed to 12mph it shows the projectile being pushed 2m to the right.

I dont know what to do from here. If you would like to see how the graph acts first had you can download my spreadsheet here:
    http://www.2shared.com/fadmin/48841342/b473610/Drag_Spread_Sheet_Final2.ods.html

NOTE: you need openoffice to open this file, it may not work in excel because of the difference in the in-cell programing

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted