Solving Quadratic Drag Force on Upward Motion of Gun

In summary, the problem involves a gun being fired straight up with a quadratic drag force. The equations for upward and downward motion are given, and the student struggles with setting up the equations correctly due to differing signs. Consistency in defining the positive direction is important in solving the problem.
jesuslovesu

Homework Statement

A gun is fired straight up. Assume a quadratic drag force.
Show
(upward motion) [tex]v^2 = Ae^{-2kx} - \frac{g}{k}[/tex]
(downward motion) [tex]v^2 = g/k - Be^{2kx}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can easily solve the integrals unfortunately I am having difficulty setting equations up.

Upward:
ma = mg + cv^2

Unfortunately, to get the book's answer I would need to say ma = -mg - cv^2
And I am having a difficult time seeing why both terms are negative.

I draw the free body diagram. As soon as the bullet leaves the barrel, the acceleration is in the downward direction. (so mg is pos) and the drag also acts in the downward direction so I thought ma = mg + cv^2. Shouldn't mg and cv^2 both be positive because they are in the direction of the acceleration?

Does anyone know why I am getting different signs?

Physics news on Phys.org
jesuslovesu said:
Upward:
ma = mg + cv^2

Unfortunately, to get the book's answer I would need to say ma = -mg - cv^2
And I am having a difficult time seeing why both terms are negative.

I draw the free body diagram. As soon as the bullet leaves the barrel, the acceleration is in the downward direction. (so mg is pos) and the drag also acts in the downward direction so I thought ma = mg + cv^2. Shouldn't mg and cv^2 both be positive because they are in the direction of the acceleration?

Does anyone know why I am getting different signs?
They just defined the positive direction as upwards where you defined it as downwards. There is nothing wrong with either choice, as long as you are consistent while working the problem.

I would like to provide a response to the content by first acknowledging the difficulty in setting up the equations and understanding the signs in the equations. It is important to carefully consider the direction of the forces and the direction of the acceleration in order to correctly set up the equations.

In this case, the upward motion of the gun is being affected by both gravity and drag force. Gravity is acting in the downward direction, while the drag force is acting in the opposite direction of the velocity of the bullet. This means that in the upward motion, the drag force will have a negative sign in the equation. This can be seen in the downward motion equation as well, where the drag force is acting in the same direction as the velocity and therefore has a positive sign.

It is important to note that the signs in the equations may vary depending on the chosen coordinate system. However, in this case, it is important to use a consistent coordinate system throughout the problem in order to avoid confusion.

In summary, the negative sign in the drag force term in the upward motion equation is correct and reflects the direction of the drag force acting on the bullet. It is important to carefully consider the direction of the forces and the acceleration in order to correctly set up the equations and solve the problem.

What is quadratic drag force?

Quadratic drag force is a type of air resistance that occurs when an object moves through a fluid, such as air. It is proportional to the square of the object's velocity and is directed opposite to the direction of motion.

How does quadratic drag force affect the upward motion of a gun?

In the context of a gun, quadratic drag force can hinder the projectile's upward motion by slowing it down due to air resistance. This can result in a shorter maximum height and a shorter range for the projectile.

What factors influence the magnitude of quadratic drag force on a gun?

The magnitude of quadratic drag force on a gun is influenced by several factors, including the density and viscosity of the fluid (air), the object's velocity, and the object's surface area and shape.

How can the quadratic drag force on a gun be calculated?

The quadratic drag force on a gun can be calculated using the equation Fd = 1/2 * ρ * v^2 * Cd * A, where ρ is the density of the fluid, v is the velocity of the object, Cd is the drag coefficient, and A is the cross-sectional area of the object.

How can the impact of quadratic drag force on the upward motion of a gun be minimized?

To minimize the impact of quadratic drag force on the upward motion of a gun, the shape and surface area of the projectile can be optimized to reduce air resistance. Additionally, increasing the initial velocity and reducing the time of flight can also help minimize the effect of quadratic drag force.