Solving the Mystery: Calculating Terminal Velocity

In summary, the hero in the mystery uses a windshield tarpaulin to reduce his terminal velocity and save himself. Comparing him to a skydiver with the same mass and density, but a drag coefficient twice as large, the hero's effective area must be greater than 0.70 m2 by a factor determined by the formula for drag force.
Zmuffinz

Homework Statement

Marks: 1 In a recent mystery, the hero saves himself by spreading out a windshield tarpaulin to reduce his terminal velocity. A skydiver of 75 kg mass has a terminal velocity of 60 m/s. If the hero has the same 75 kg mass, the same density as the sky diver, and a drag coefficient twice as large with the tarp, by what factor is his effective area greater than the 0.70 m2 area of the skydiver?

Homework Equations

Drag force= 1/2DPairAV^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Zmuffinz said:

Homework Statement

Marks: 1 In a recent mystery, the hero saves himself by spreading out a windshield tarpaulin to reduce his terminal velocity. A skydiver of 75 kg mass has a terminal velocity of 60 m/s. If the hero has the same 75 kg mass, the same density as the sky diver, and a drag coefficient twice as large with the tarp, by what factor is his effective area greater than the 0.70 m2 area of the skydiver?

Homework Equations

Drag force= 1/2DPairAV^2

The Attempt at a Solution

You seem to have forgotten to complete section three.

Last edited:
yea i didnt know what to do for the question, i can't get the density of air or drag coeffient so i can't work anything out by rearranging the equation for A

Zmuffinz said:
yea i didnt know what to do for the question, i can't get the density of air or drag coeffient so i can't work anything out by rearranging the equation for A
HINT: What do you know about the drag force in both cases?

1. What is terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the constant speed that an object reaches when the force of gravity is balanced by the drag force acting against it. It is the maximum speed that an object can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air or water.

2. How is terminal velocity calculated?

Terminal velocity can be calculated using the equation v = √(2mg/ρACd), where v is the terminal velocity, m is the mass of the falling object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and Cd is the drag coefficient.

3. What factors affect terminal velocity?

The terminal velocity of an object is affected by its mass, surface area, and the density and viscosity of the fluid it is falling through. The shape and orientation of the object can also play a role in determining its terminal velocity.

4. Can terminal velocity be exceeded?

Yes, terminal velocity can be exceeded if the force of gravity acting on the object increases or if the drag force decreases. For example, if the object changes shape or if it falls through a less dense fluid, it may exceed its terminal velocity.

5. Why is calculating terminal velocity important?

Calculating terminal velocity is important in many fields, including aerodynamics, meteorology, and physics. It can help engineers design more efficient parachutes and skydiving equipment, and it is also used in predicting the behavior of objects falling through the atmosphere, such as meteors or spacecraft.