Drawing a contour map for e^(variable)sine(x-t*variable)

• Thread starter mrcleanhands
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drawing Map
In summary, to create a contour map for T(x,t), you will need to plot points on a grid with x and t as the axes and calculate the value of T(x,t) for each point using the given equation. Alternatively, you can plot the function as a surface plot to get a three-dimensional representation. Experimenting with different values of λ and ω can help you understand the relationship between these variables and the contour map. This can be a useful tool for analyzing and interpreting data in scientific research.
mrcleanhands

Homework Statement

Draw a contour map for [itex]T(x,t)=10e^{-\lambda x}\sin(\omega t-\lambda x)[/itex]

[itex]0\leq\lambda x\leq2\Pi[/itex] and [itex]0\leq\omega t\leq2\Pi[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Because those two variables are within that given range I'm not sure how to do this.

Normally I would set f(x,y) to k and then see if a function could be drawn on the x-y plane for any given value of k. so you might get a circle of radius k. but here I'm thrown off.

sin varies between -1 and 1 and [itex]10e^{-\lambda x}[/itex] between 10 an [itex]10e^{-2\Pi}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
so I think I need to graph it on the Z axis.

I suggest using a computer program or graphing calculator to plot the contour map for T(x,t). This will give you a visual representation of the function and help you understand how it changes with different values of x and t.

To create a contour map, you will need to plot points on a grid with x and t as the two axes. Then, for each point on the grid, calculate the value of T(x,t) using the given equation. The resulting values can then be plotted on a third axis, representing the value of T(x,t).

Alternatively, you can plot the function as a surface plot, where the x and t axes represent the independent variables and the height of the surface represents the value of T(x,t). This will give you a three-dimensional representation of the contour map.

I also suggest experimenting with different values of λ and ω to see how they affect the contour map. This will give you a better understanding of the relationship between these variables and the resulting contour map.

Overall, creating a contour map for T(x,t) will help you visualize the function and better understand its behavior. This can be a useful tool for analyzing and interpreting data in your scientific research.

FAQ: Drawing a contour map for e^(variable)sine(x-t*variable)

1. How do you create a contour map for e^(variable)sine(x-t*variable)?

To create a contour map for e^(variable)sine(x-t*variable), you will need to plot points on a graph that represent the values of the equation. The x-axis will represent the variable, while the y-axis will represent the values of e^(variable)sine(x-t*variable). Then, you can connect the points to create a contour map.

2. What is the purpose of creating a contour map for e^(variable)sine(x-t*variable)?

A contour map for e^(variable)sine(x-t*variable) can help visualize the relationship between the variables in the equation. It can also help identify patterns and trends in the data.

3. How do you choose the values for the variables in the contour map for e^(variable)sine(x-t*variable)?

The values for the variables can be chosen based on the range of values you want to represent on the map. You can also choose specific values to represent certain points of interest or to highlight specific patterns in the data.

4. Are there any limitations to creating a contour map for e^(variable)sine(x-t*variable)?

One limitation of creating a contour map for e^(variable)sine(x-t*variable) is that it may not accurately represent the entire range of values in the equation. This is because contour maps only show a two-dimensional representation of the data, and the equation may have values in higher dimensions.

5. Can a contour map for e^(variable)sine(x-t*variable) be used for predictions or analysis?

Yes, a contour map for e^(variable)sine(x-t*variable) can be used for predictions or analysis. By observing the patterns and trends in the map, you can make predictions about the behavior of the equation for different values of the variables. It can also help in identifying critical points or regions of interest for further analysis.

Back