Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Drawing a Region of Integration

1. Nov 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/6397/skjermbilde20111130kl50.png [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solutionI seriously can't even figure out how this region is drawn. I think in the second integral I need y to range from -x to 3. Then the answer could conceivably be a). But, as is, I can't do this.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2011 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi TranscendArcu! :smile:

Perhaps you can start with a drawing in which you mark the end points of the boundaries?
    And if you have that, a couple of points in between?

If you switch the integrals around, the outer integral(s) will be with respect to y.
    y can not be dependent on x then, since x does not exist anymore when you integrate y.
    The outer integral should typically cover the largest possible range, while the inner integral sets a condition on what to integrate.

4. Nov 30, 2011 #3
    Okay. Here's what I have: in the first quadrant, a triangle with vertices (0,0), (3,3), (0,3). This is the region I get when I map out the region described by the first integral. In the second integral I have x≤y≤3, which is exactly the same constraint on y I had before. If I let -3≤x≤0, in the first quadrant I have a square with vertices (0,0), (0,3), (-3,3), (-3,0). In the third quadrant I have another triangle with vertices (-3,-3), (0,0), (-3,0).

!!!

Is it c?

5. Nov 30, 2011 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hmm, before saying yeah or nay, let's explore your analysis.

If -3≤x≤0, then you're not in the first quadrant...
    Furthermore, if x=-3, can you recheck the bounds?

So you think it's c?
    What is your analysis then of the region that c covers?

6. Nov 30, 2011 #5
    I think I mistyped something: If I let -3≤x≤0, in the second quadrant I have a square with vertices (0,0), (0,3), (-3,3), (-3,0).

But I still think it's c, since my picture did actually have the square in Q2.

7. Nov 30, 2011 #6

I like Serena

Homework Helper

All right!

So your problem gives you 2 triangles and a square.
    And c gives you a square in Q2.

Are these the same figures?

8. Nov 30, 2011 #7
    I think so. If I graph the bounds in c I seem to get the same region.

9. Nov 30, 2011 #8

I like Serena

Homework Helper

And what about a, b, and d?

10. Nov 30, 2011 #9
    a is a triangle in the first and second quadrants. b I found more tricky, but I think it's the region in (a) and also its reflection over the x-axis. Who knows what d is? As you said in #2, it doesn't make sense to have variables in the outermost integral's bounds.

11. Nov 30, 2011 #10

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Sounds like you've got things down!

So?

12. Nov 30, 2011 #11

I like Serena

Homework Helper

You still seem unsure...?
    I was kind of hoping for a statement like: "I'm sure it is c!".

13. Nov 30, 2011 #12
    Pick c! I was pretty sure it was c after I really mapped out the region being described. Just by inspection, c seemed to be the appropriate answer once graphed correctly. Still, it took me a minute or two to realize what region b described.

14. Nov 30, 2011 #13

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook