Learn Problem Solving Through Drawings & Sketches

• Thread starter mateosrica
  • Start date
In summary, Drawings can help you visualise how vectors (such as forces) act on objects, and often to solve these problems you need to be able to add together vectors to work out what the overall (resultant or net) effect is on the object. Sketches are freehand creations, no matter how accurate they may be. A draughting student would find the initial steps of learning draughting painless, though the program does not offer shortcuts for the kinds of shortcuts that a person used to take with pencil and paper.
mateosrica
I am in high school now and need some help...My teacher always saids that the best way to learn formulas and solving the problem is by making a sketch. I know how to make it but that's about it. If someone knows how to study and solve problems that way,please help. Thanks:)

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a very general question as there are lots of different types of drawings or sketches you can do. What sort of problems are you studying at the moment?

Drawings can help you visualise how vectors (such as forces) act on objects. Frequently to solve these problems you need to be able to add together vectors to work out what the overall (resultant or net) effect is on the object. Perhaps start by looking at the polygon or graphical method of vector addition...

Likes Danger
Right now I'm working with forces,speed,acceleration,freefall and such and I memorize the formulas but I can't put them in any context even tough I can see the missing variable sometimes it is not correct.

Next time you get stuck perhaps try posing the question in the homework section with an attempt at a diagram/solution.

I am going to mention something here that a lot of people are going to give me grief over, but it has to be done for the sake of accuracy.
In the terminology of draughting, a "drawing" is something created with tools such as the draughting machine or T-square, adjustable triangle, compass and pencil (or, these days, maybe a computer). A "sketch" is a freehand creation, no matter how accurate it may be. I do at least 80% of my designing in my head and another 19% on cocktail napkins, fast-food bags, etc. Only when I have a clear picture of what I want do I record it in TurboCad or Inkscape. (My draughting table and equipment are in storage. :oldfrown:) Some might think that such is horrendously primitive, but it's at least 1,000 times faster than using a computer and several Gb of paper storage fits in my shirt pocket.
This might seem like just annoying nit-picking, but they are clearly defined terms in that area of endeavour and so should be used as such when dealing with professionals.
CWatters: I love that clip. What program is he using? I've never seen anything quite like that.
Mateosrica, I realize that you aren't a draughting student, so please don't take this to be a snipe at you. The only reason that I brought it up was because of the clip that showed both operations being done on the same screen at the same time.

Last edited:
Sorry, no idea what the program is.

CWatters said:
Sorry, no idea what the program is.
Bummer. :oldfrown: It looks really cool.

@Danger
You quaint ol'fashioned thing!
I agree that drawing a straight line on paper takes not very long. Drawing 20 lines, with correct length and at the correct angle, then copying and pasting that object ten times is far quicker on a computer. I did the drawings for my Conservatory on a not very sophisticated program called Cadintosh. I started it all wrong (unlike a real draughtsman) without setting sizes and scales correctly. But, after starting again 'properly', I just raced through it. The kit that was supplied, using my drawings, was spot on.
If you know about draughting already then you would find it a doddle - it's just the initial steps that are the pain. (Just the same as when you learn a new programming language.) You can do it my boy - go for it and build your own conservatory / observatory / playroom / office block.

Hi, Sophie. Really, I was just trying to clarify the terminology because it does make a difference when discussing the matter. As for the pencil and paper being quicker, it does depend upon what I'm doing. I mean primarily in the sketching aspect. If I want a picture of something like, say, the guts of a 4-speed transmission to maybe explain to someone how a shifter works, I can whip it up in one minute or less on a napkin. It would probably take me at least a week in TurboCad. Programs don't make allowance for shortcuts of the kind that I'm used to. For instance, I sketch a bolt by putting 2 sawtooth zigzag lines beside each other with some diagonal slashes between them to represent threads. Add a few rectangles for the shank, head and flats, and Bob's your uncle. I've tried doing things fast on a computer, with Illustrator, Inscape, TurboCad, even Paint when I was at work and stuck with a Windows-burner, and it never worked. I have an open-source thing called Sketch-Up from SourceForge that might do it, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Also, at present I'm restricted to my trackpad. I've killed yet another mouse, and I'm still waiting for delivery of my newest graphics tablet that I ordered almost 2 months ago. (All of my peripherals die the same way; the cords keep breaking. :()

1. What is "Learn Problem Solving Through Drawings & Sketches"?

"Learn Problem Solving Through Drawings & Sketches" is a method that uses visual aids, specifically drawings and sketches, to help individuals solve problems. It encourages individuals to think creatively and visually, as well as break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts.

2. How does "Learn Problem Solving Through Drawings & Sketches" work?

This method works by first identifying the problem and breaking it down into smaller parts. Then, individuals use drawings and sketches to visualize the problem and potential solutions. By visually representing the problem, individuals are able to think more creatively and come up with innovative solutions. The process also encourages individuals to think outside the box and explore different perspectives.

3. Who can benefit from "Learn Problem Solving Through Drawings & Sketches"?

This method can benefit anyone, regardless of age or profession. It is particularly helpful for individuals who are visual learners or struggle with traditional problem-solving methods. It can also be useful for teams or groups who need to collaborate and find solutions together.

4. Can "Learn Problem Solving Through Drawings & Sketches" be used for all types of problems?

Yes, this method can be used for a wide range of problems, from simple to complex. It is especially effective for problems that require creative thinking and brainstorming. However, it may not be as useful for problems that have a strict, logical solution.

5. How can I get started with "Learn Problem Solving Through Drawings & Sketches"?

To get started with this method, you can begin by identifying a problem you want to solve. Then, break it down into smaller parts and use drawings and sketches to represent each part. Don't be afraid to explore different perspectives and think outside the box. Finally, evaluate and refine your solutions until you find the best one.