Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drinking oil

1. Dec 29, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Olive oil is supposed to be good for you but, it doe's not taste very nice, so i tried warming some up with flavourings (herbs and spices) so far the best tasting one is mint, let it cool first, what do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

To drink?

4. Dec 29, 2008 #3
    Try dipping some bread in the oil instead of taking a shot of it lol

5. Dec 29, 2008 #4

wolram

Gold Member

Yes to drink, in small quantity, so people that do not use olive much can get the benifit of it's goodness.

6. Dec 29, 2008 #5

Evo

Try Greg's suggestion, much better than drinking it. You can also add a bit of olive oil to just about any savory dish you make.

Olive oil and mint? :yuck:

7. Dec 29, 2008 #6

wolram

Gold Member

I have tried Gregs idea, it is okay with a bit of crusty bread not really enjoyable to eat,
    i thought the minty oil tastes nice ish but there could be some better concoction.

8. Dec 29, 2008 #7

turbo

Gold Member

We use olive oil in most of our cooking, except high-temperature searing (peanut oil for that). Olive oil, cider vinegar and some herbs and spices make a quick and easy dressing that you can use on salads or drizzle over steamed vegetables. You can substitute lemon juice for the vinegar - lemon goes well with lots of vegetables.

9. Dec 29, 2008 #8
  10. Dec 29, 2008 #9
    I just don't think I could take all that oil in my mouth in one shot. I use it almost daily in cooking and salads. And yes Ive used mint in it, it tastes very good. Try also adding just a bit of honey.

11. Dec 29, 2008 #10
    Or, one could simply add olive oil to something they are eating....

12. Dec 29, 2008 #11

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Deep fried Mars bar drizzled with extra virgin olive oil?

Ellen MacArthur. the round the world yachtswomen was complaining about this. To eat enough calories during a race when you can't cook the solution was to drink a ridiculous amount of olive oil every day! She said she was quite glad when some bearing failed and she had to use the olive oil supply to lubricate it.

13. Dec 29, 2008 #12

wolram

Gold Member

I just tried coffee and honey olive oil drank warm, tasty.:smile:

14. Dec 29, 2008 #13

Evo

I love honey, I love coffee, I love mint. I would never add any of these things to olives. My cold pressed olive oil tastes like olives. Perhaps you are using a less fragrant olive oil?

15. Dec 29, 2008 #14

turbo

Gold Member

That could be a big part of it. There is a lot of junk masquerading as cold pressed/first pressed olive oil. If it's cheap, it's not real - that's the too-good-to-be-true rule in effect.

16. Dec 29, 2008 #15

wolram

Gold Member

I hate olives they are worse than fish eggs (caviar) or Indian pickles.

17. Dec 29, 2008 #16

turbo

Gold Member

You probably are comparing to the brined, preserved stuff, that tastes nothing like fresh olives. Try a small bottle of cold-pressed/first-pressed oil to see.

Even low-grade heat extracted olive oil can be $5-6/liter bottle, so expect the good stuff to be pricey.

18. Dec 29, 2008 #17

wolram

Gold Member

You hit the nail on the head Turbo, good olive oil (tasty) is expensive, but i suppose there is the same goodness in the cheap stuff, so flavouring it is worth while?

19. Dec 29, 2008 #18

Astronuc

English!

I guess appreciation of olives is an acquired taste, much like one needs to acquire a taste for asparagus, broccoli or Brussels sprouts. It also helps to prepare those foods properly.

I would have thought that Greg's suggestion would work. I've had bread at restaurants with olive oil, although the oil was seasoned with herbs (fennel and others, IIRC) and in some cases, with garlic.

I like sauteed garlic and herbs, and perhaps one could sautee garlic in olive oil (and I believe it's supposed to be extra-virgin oil) and then mash or puree the garlic, herbs and oil into a paste or spread. Then put that on toast or fresh bread.

20. Dec 29, 2008 #19
    Do you not make much pasta? I always use fresh garlic and olive oil to get the pan primed for any italian pasta sauce I use. Then drizzle a bit of olive oil over the pasta itself. This seems to 'seal up' the noodles so they don't absorb as much moisture from the sauce and maintain their consistency. It also keeps left overs from drying up as much.

21. Dec 29, 2008 #20

Evo

When I first read the thread title, I was certain that Wolram had ingested motor oil by mistake.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?