1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Driven forced oscillation wmax for Amax stuck on maths ><

1. Aug 16, 2016 #1
    Hello

Need some help simplifying this. In relation to a driven oscillator I am looking for wmax for which the amplitude is maximum. I understand the theory and I am just missing something with the maths and I know its probably something so stooooopid Im missing >< I'm taking the derivative but I end up with something pretty convoluted and I know this is meant to be relatively simple but I just cant get it... Im staring at it too long, need someone else to look at it.

I have worked out the Amplitude as:

A= fo/m/sqrt((wo2-w2)22w2)

Then I attempted dA/dw to get wmax for which A is max and set to zero but it all got a little out of hand

-((fo/m)(2)(wo2-w2)(-2w)+2γw2))/((2)(wo2-w2)22w2)3/2)=0

I want to work with this expression because I understand where it came from and it makes sense to me. I just can not remember how to simplify something like this and it is going to keep me awake at night

I know that its supposed to boil down to this:(but I can not get my dA/dw to look like this. )

wmax= (wo2-(γ2/2))1/2

my goal is to figure out how to make my expression look like this

>< please help

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2016 #2

Twigg

Gold Member

To make life easier, instead of trying to maximize ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{(\omega_{0}^{2} - \omega^{2})^{2} + \gamma^{2} \omega^{2}}}##, instead try minimizing ##(\omega_{0}^{2} - \omega^{2})^{2} + \gamma^{2} \omega^{2}##. I guarantee you'll sleep easier. :smile:

If you're dead-set on getting your expression to work, then try substituting ##f(\omega) = (\omega_{0}^{2} - \omega^{2})^{2} + \gamma^{2} \omega^{2}## and using the chain rule to show that they share a stationary point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted