Drop a charge in a neutral black hole

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of sending an electron into a neutral black hole and the electromagnetic fields surrounding it. It is noted that the event horizon acts as a perfect conducting sheet and that the black hole can hold a charge. However, there is no known paradigm for discussing the interior region of a black hole.
TeTeC
Hello,

What would happen if I sent an electron into a neutral black hole?

Assume basic (undergraduate) knowledge about black holes. I have studied in some details the Reissner-Nordstrom solution including maximal extension using Kruskal coordinates.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
No idea ? Even if you don't have a full answer, a qualitative argument would be interesting.

Outside the black hole is easier to talk about. It turns out that the electromagnetic field lines act as if the event horizon is a perfect conducting sheet. So as a charge approaches, qualitatively the fields will be like there are two image charges inside: one at the center and one which is moving outwards and will meet the infalling charge at the event horizon.

Of course there is actually not a big source of charges or anything special at the event horizon. This is just an equivalent way of working with it that scientists have found, if you restrict yourself to asking questions about the region outside of the event horizon.

I don't know if there is any similar approach to simplify visualization of what is going on inside the event horizon though. Anyone?

EDIT: Just noticed that this is being discussed in another thread as well.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=409465
The keyword I was having trouble remembering is "membrane paradigm". There are links to more info in that thread, but with the name of the paradigm you can easily look up plenty of stuff yourself if you'd like.

Last edited:
Okay, thanks Justin.

I'm not sure if Justin's comment is in line with this, but I do believe that BHs can hold a charge.

Drop enough charged matter in, and you've got yourself a BH with a handhold!

DaveC426913 said:
I'm not sure if Justin's comment is in line with this, but I do believe that BHs can hold a charge.
Yep, they can hold a charge.
In that discussion above, notice the image charge at the center is there. After the infalling charge meets the horizon, this image charge at the center will equal the charge that fell in ... leaving the black hole with a net charge.

The weird part from this is that the solution is almost already symmetric (besides some radiation, etc.) in this outside region by the time the infalling charge hits the horizon! I have trouble understanding this intuitively, and find it fascinating.

Does anyone know of a similar paradigm for discussing the interior region?

Last edited:
JustinLevy said:
Yep, they can hold a charge.
In that discussion above, notice the image charge at the center is there. After the infalling charge meets the horizon, this image charge at the center will equal the charge that fell in ... leaving the black hole with a net charge.

The weird part from this is that the solution is almost already symmetric (besides some radiation, etc.) in this outside region by the time the infalling charge hits the horizon! I have trouble understanding this intuitively, and find it fascinating.

Does anyone know of a similar paradigm for discussing the interior region?

I know of no paradigm for discussing the interior that is not pure conjecture.

1. What happens when a charge is dropped into a neutral black hole?

When a charge is dropped into a neutral black hole, the black hole's gravitational pull will increase. However, the charge itself will not be affected as it falls towards the singularity.

2. Will the charge change the properties of the black hole?

No, the charge will not significantly change the properties of the black hole. The overall mass and size of the black hole will remain the same.

3. Can a charge escape from a black hole?

Once a charge has crossed the event horizon of a black hole, it is impossible for it to escape. The extreme gravitational pull of the black hole will prevent anything, including light and charged particles, from escaping.

4. What happens to the charge at the singularity of a black hole?

The charge will be compressed at the singularity along with the rest of the matter that has fallen into the black hole. At the singularity, the laws of physics as we know them break down and it is currently unknown what exactly happens to matter at this point.

5. Can a neutral black hole become charged?

Yes, a black hole can become charged if it accretes matter with an electric charge. This charge can affect the behavior of the black hole, such as the way it interacts with its surroundings, but it will not significantly change its mass or size.