Dropped knob grounds shuttle for 6 months

• Thread starter mgb_phys
  • Start date
In summary, there is a six-month delay to the STS-129 mission due to window damage on the Atlantis shuttle. The process of getting the shuttle ready again seems to involve a lot of time and effort, including creating acronyms and ordering parts from China, leading to a delay until March for the shuttle to go up again.
Physics news on Phys.org
They've probably put 10x the time into their powerpoint presentations than into actually getting the stupid thing out.

I can only imagine just how fun it must be to show up to work right now.

I think I understand in general what might be involved, But 6 MONTHS!:eek: I would think everyone that could be involved with the process would immediately have some idea of who they are and what will be required of them and what kind of response to gear up for.

I can understand the time delay. With all of the process requirements that need to be met, inspections and most likely, the time delay in getting new parts, I can see it taking that long.

Why can't they just cut the thing in half with a small hack saw blade?

Q_Goest said:
Why can't they just cut the thing in half with a small hack saw blade?

Because the acronym SHSB is already being used for something else.
5 of the 6 months are ear marked for coming up with acronyms for the lost part, the tool and the procedure. The main sticking point is coming up with an acronym for the committee to determine the acronym.

The latest is that they're ordering the parts from China with ground shipping so the shuttle probably won't go up until next march.

FAQ: Dropped knob grounds shuttle for 6 months

1. What is a dropped knob ground shuttle?

A dropped knob ground shuttle is a device used to ground electrical circuits and protect against electrical shock or damage. It consists of a metal knob on one end and a wire or cable on the other end.

2. How does a dropped knob ground shuttle work?

The metal knob is connected to a grounding source, such as a building's electrical system or a grounding rod. The wire or cable is then connected to the electrical device or circuit that needs to be grounded. This allows any excess electrical charge to be safely redirected to the ground, preventing damage or injury.

3. Why would a dropped knob ground shuttle be dropped?

A dropped knob ground shuttle may be dropped accidentally during installation or maintenance, or it may be intentionally dropped in the event of an electrical surge or overload. In some cases, a dropped knob ground shuttle may also be removed for testing or replacement.

4. How long can a dropped knob ground shuttle be left on the ground?

It is recommended to not leave a dropped knob ground shuttle on the ground for more than 6 months. This is because the ground connection can become weak over time, reducing its effectiveness in protecting against electrical hazards.

5. What are the risks of leaving a dropped knob ground shuttle on the ground for too long?

If a dropped knob ground shuttle is left on the ground for an extended period of time, it may lose its ability to effectively ground electrical currents. This could result in electrical shocks, damage to electrical equipment, or even fires. It is important to regularly check and replace dropped knob ground shuttles as needed to maintain a safe and functional electrical system.