1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dropped knob grounds shuttle for 6 months

1. Jun 25, 2009 #1

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2009 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

They've probably put 10x the time into their powerpoint presentations than into actually getting the stupid thing out.

I can only imagine just how fun it must be to show up to work right now.

4. Jun 26, 2009 #3

RonL

Gold Member

I think I understand in general what might be involved, But 6 MONTHS!!!:eek: I would think everyone that could be involved with the process would immediately have some idea of who they are and what will be required of them and what kind of response to gear up for.

5. Jun 26, 2009 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I can understand the time delay. With all of the process requirements that need to be met, inspections and most likely, the time delay in getting new parts, I can see it taking that long.

6. Jun 27, 2009 #5

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why can't they just cut the thing in half with a small hack saw blade?

7. Jun 27, 2009 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because the acronym SHSB is already being used for something else.
    5 of the 6 months are ear marked for coming up with acronyms for the lost part, the tool and the procedure. The main sticking point is coming up with an acronym for the committee to determine the acronym.

8. Jun 27, 2009 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The latest is that they're ordering the parts from China with ground shipping so the shuttle probably won't go up until next march.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook