Dropping two balls, one with twice the mass

In summary, when two masses are dropped from the same height, the one with a greater mass will have a greater kinetic energy at the bottom. Therefore, the statements that are true are 2 and 4. This is because both objects experience the same acceleration due to gravity, but their masses affect their final velocities and therefore their kinetic energies.
rasen58

Homework Statement

Two masses are placed on top of a building. The mass of one is twice the mass of the other. Both are dropped at the same time. Neglecting air resistance, which statements are true?
1. Both objects have the same potential energy at the top
2. Both objects fall with the same acceleration
3. Both objects have the same kinetic energy before hitting the ground
4. Both objects have the same speed when they hit the ground

A. 1, 2
B. 1, 3
C. 2, 4
D. 1
E. 2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know 1 and 2 are definitely true.
But I also thought 3 and 4 were true since for 4, I could use the kinematic equation
v2 = v02 + 2ay
And since a and y and v0 are the same for both, I thought they'd have the same final velocity and thus, the same kinetic energy.
But is that not true?

Physics news on Phys.org
rasen58 said:
I thought they'd have the same final velocity and thus, the same kinetic energy.
Are you saying kinetic energy only depends on speed?

rasen58 said:
I know 1 and 2 are definitely true.
Double check your thinking on this, too.

Nathanael said:
Are you saying kinetic energy only depends on speed?
Oh wait, never mind, the twice as heavy ball would have a greater kinetic energy since it has twice the mass.

I still think 1 and 2 are both right though.

2 and 4 are related, 1 and 3 are related. Can you think how?

Oh I see how they're related. So if I use 1 and 3 first, the potential energy should be equal to the kinetic energy at the bottom. So then, that means that they both have the same kinetic energy and since their masses differ, their velocities would have to differ.

But I don't see why using the kinematic equation tells me that the velocities at the bottom will be the same.

rasen58 said:
Oh I see how they're related. So if I use 1 and 3 first, the potential energy should be equal to the kinetic energy at the bottom. So then, that means that they both have the same kinetic energy and since their masses differ, their velocities would have to differ.

But I don't see why using the kinematic equation tells me that the velocities at the bottom will be the same.
Okay then let's trust the kinematics and say the speed is the same at the bottom. Therefore the smaller ball has less kinetic energy at the bottom. What does this mean about the potential energy at the top?

Oh, wow, I was really stupid...
The potential energies at the top aren't the same... because they have different masses.
Wow, thanks.

So the answer should be 2 and 4?

rasen58 said:
So the answer should be 2 and 4?
Yep

1. How does the mass of the balls affect their drop?

The mass of an object affects its acceleration due to gravity. In this experiment, the ball with twice the mass will experience a greater force of gravity and therefore accelerate faster than the ball with less mass. This means that the ball with twice the mass will hit the ground before the other ball.

2. Will the balls hit the ground at the same time?

No, the ball with twice the mass will hit the ground first due to its greater acceleration caused by its greater mass.

3. How does air resistance impact the results of this experiment?

Air resistance can affect the results of this experiment by slowing down the acceleration of both balls. The ball with twice the mass will still hit the ground first, but the difference in time may be smaller due to air resistance.

4. Can this experiment be conducted on other planets?

Yes, this experiment can be conducted on other planets. The acceleration due to gravity may be different on other planets, but the ball with twice the mass will still hit the ground first due to its greater force of gravity.

5. What other factors may affect the results of this experiment?

The height from which the balls are dropped, the surface on which they are dropped, and the shape and density of the balls may also affect the results of this experiment. These factors should be kept constant for accurate results.