Dual degree in CS and EE?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Blackwinter
  • Start date
I desire both these skill sets, but I was wondering if computer engineering would be more appropriate, as I am under the impression that it is a mix of both CS and EE, but with a focus on computer hardware. If someone could enlighten me to the main differences between these two paths that would be amazing.

To reiterate: CS+EE vs. Computer engineering.

Thank you.

Answers and Replies

Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A computer scientist with hardware skills??? Does not compute.

FactChecker
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A CS+EE degree would be a great combination for embedded programming. For instance, an airplane has a computer program that gets inputs from pilot controls, accelerometers, and air data sensors and controls surface actuators to fly the airplane. There is a lot of CS and a lot of electronics that is not specific to computers. The computer engineering would concentrate on the computer circuit electronics. Both are exciting fields and can offer a long career. Which to pick depends on your interests. And don't assume that you need to stay in a career that exactly matches your degree. Most people move around a lot.

analogdesign
Science Advisor
It depends on the college. In a lot of colleges "Computer Engineering" is kind of a mix of EE and CS. Typically there is a lot of room to specialize in the major. At my college, if you majored in Computer Engineer you could emphasize software or hardware in your electives, or do a balance.

The problem with a CS+EE double major is that they don't overlap all that much and they are both very challenging. It will take you at least 5 years (maybe more) to pull it off. In my opinion you would do better to spend that time getting a master's in EE, CS, or Computer Engineering.

Life transforming advice Analogdesign!

That sounds perfectly right in my gut.

Thanks again.

analogdesign
Science Advisor
Life transforming advice Analogdesign!

That sounds perfectly right in my gut.

Thanks again.

No problem! I went through all the same excitement and confusion when I was younger and I was lucky to have some wise mentors advise me. I'm happy to pay that forward.

Regards.