1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dual nature of electron spectrum

  1. Dec 23, 2009 #1
    cause of spectra is transition of electron form one state to another state.
    but which one? emission spectra or absorption spectra.
    or in what case both spectra can be seen?
     
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2009 #2
    You can directly excite the 1s -> 3p transition absorption line in a hydrogen atom, but only about 88% of the excited states will go back to the 1s directly by a 3p -> 1s transition.. The other 12% will go back down via the 2s state. Is this your question?
    Bob S
     
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  4. Dec 26, 2009 #3
    is this transition emit both emission & absorption spectra?
     
  5. Dec 26, 2009 #4
    Some gases can absorb their own emission lines. The strong yellow sodium D lines at 5890 Angstroms (two lines separated by about 5 Angstroms) in sodium arc lamps have absorption notches in the center of each broad line, because the cooler gas surrounding the arc is absorbing the emission from the hot arc. This can be seen with a good diffraction grating. [Actually, the emission line width is due in part to collisional broadening.]
    Bob S
     
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook