Solving Dynamics: 3D Kinematics with Euler's Equations of Motion?

In summary, the problem involves finding the reaction forces and moments at points A and B for a plate rotating about those points. The plate is assumed to have its weight concentrated at the center and the approach will involve using Euler's equations of 3D motion to solve for these reactions. The choice of point A as the origin is appropriate and the matrices for the plate's inertia and moments will need to be calculated.
steak313

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/5445/problem3.png

All problem info contained in the image.

Homework Equations

equations of relative motion?

The Attempt at a Solution

Frankly I am stuck on where to begin. I would normally make a free body diagram, but doing this alone doesn't seem to get me very far. I would also usually start making position vectors and work my way through velocities and accelerations point by point; however, those problems are always asking me to find velocities or accelerations at a particular point. This is asking for the reaction forces and moments at A and B. The way the picture looks makes me think the weight of the plate will be concentrated at the center and going vertically downward. Any hints on where to begin?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, so I was totally off before but I think I at least know what's going on now. I am pretty sure this problem will require euler's equations of 3D motion.

So the plate seems to rotate about the fixed points A and B. I will choose A as my origin. I then can make my inertial matrix for the plate and go on computing moments.

My first question is about point A; I can choose this point correct? The plate is rotating but I think point A is fixed relative to this motion. If not I believe the centroid of the plate should work as well. I must go to class shortly so I can not caluclate all of the matrices yet, but is this the correct approach? I believe I have the tools to solve the problem but some of the details are not quite clear.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! I will be back in a few hours.

FAQ: Solving Dynamics: 3D Kinematics with Euler's Equations of Motion?

1. What is dynamics in 3D kinematics?

Dynamics in 3D kinematics is the study of the motion of objects in three-dimensional space, taking into account both the position and velocity of the object. It involves analyzing the forces acting on an object and how they affect its movement.

2. How is 3D kinematics different from 2D kinematics?

In 3D kinematics, the motion of an object is described in three dimensions (x, y, and z), while in 2D kinematics, the motion is described in only two dimensions (x and y). This means that 3D kinematics takes into account the movement of an object in all directions, while 2D kinematics only considers motion in a plane.

3. What is the difference between position and displacement in 3D kinematics?

Position in 3D kinematics refers to the location of an object in three-dimensional space, while displacement is the change in position from one point to another. Displacement takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the movement, while position only gives the location of the object.

4. How are velocity and acceleration calculated in 3D kinematics?

Velocity in 3D kinematics is calculated by dividing the displacement by the time it took to travel that distance. Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it took to change that velocity. Both velocity and acceleration have magnitude and direction in 3D kinematics.

5. What is projectile motion in 3D kinematics?

Projectile motion in 3D kinematics refers to the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves in a curved path due to the influence of gravity. This type of motion is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the force of gravity.

Back