1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics involving dependent motion

1. Jan 26, 2006 #1
    If cylinder B has a downward velocity in feet per second given by
    vB = t2/2 + t3/6 , where t is in seconds. Calculate the acceleration of A
    when t = 2 seconds.

How does the velocities of A & B relate...Seems to be at C but I am not clear how to state it.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you just look at A and C, you should see that vA=-vC. In other words, A and C move at the same speed and when A moves down, C moves up (and vice versa).

You might be able to see the relationship between B and see, but let's try it a little more analytically: Let's call yC the position of C and yB the position of B. Now let's write yB as a function of yC:

[tex]y_B=y_c - x[/tex]

where x is a variable I just made up to represent the length of rope between the pulley and weight B. But the length of the rope (let's call it L) is constant and equal to L=yC-x

Plug this into the equation for yB:

[tex]y_B=y_C - (L - y_C) [/tex]
    [tex] y_B = 2y_C - L [/tex]

Take the derivative to find the relationship between velocities (remember L is constant):

[tex] v_B=2v_C [/tex]

[tex] v_B=-2v_A [/tex]
  4. Jan 28, 2006 #3
    Thanks, I finally arrived at this answer Thursday.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?