1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics: max horizontal swing of a pendulum

1. Feb 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In an ore-mixing operation, a bucket full of ore is suspended from a traveling crane which moves along a stationary bridge. The crane is traveling at a speed of 3 m/s when it is brought to a sudden stop. Determine the maximum horizontal distance through which the bucket will swing. (arm length 10m)

2. Relevant equations

KE = 1/2mv2
    PE = mgz
    Etot = KE + PE + U

3. The attempt at a solution

Since the bucket is traveling with a speed of 3 m/s and has no height E1 = 1/2mv2 and at the highest point the bucket will travel v = 0 m/s E2 = mgz

Therefore since E1 = E2 (law of conservation of energy)
    1/2mv2 = mgz
    1/2v2 = gz
    1/2(3 m/s)2 = (9.81 m/s2)z
    z = 0.4587 m

I'm not even sure if I did this the way my professor taught us, I'm just using thermo energy balance equations to be honest. I don't know if there is a way to make a triangle and solve for the x component, or just a complete different way to do this.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2012 #2
    Another way you can try to conserve momentum

4. Feb 23, 2012 #3
    I used a triangle to find out that the 10 m arm length minus the 0.4587 m height increase equals a triangle with the vertical leg being 9.54 m and the hypotenuse of 10 m. I then did sin-1(9.54 m/10 m) = 72.55°

Then I did 10cos(72.55°) = 2.9987 m

I know this is the right answer but I don't know if there is another way to find this answer.

5. Feb 23, 2012 #4
    Are masses given ?

6. Feb 23, 2012 #5
    No, no masses are given

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook