Dynamics: Max horizontal speed of a collar with three restricting springs

In summary, a collar C attached to three springs with constant 400 N/m and undeformed length of 150 mm each, slides without friction along a horizontal rod. The collar is released from rest and will reach its maximum speed when there is minimum spring potential energy, which occurs when it has moved 150 mm to the left. The maximum speed is calculated to be approximately 3.19 m/s.
jaredogden

Homework Statement

A 1.2-kg collar C may slide without friction along a horizontal rod.
It is attached to three springs, each of constant k 5 400 N/m and
150-mm undeformed length. Knowing that the collar is released
from rest in the position shown, determine the maximum speed it
will reach in the ensuing motion.

The position shown shows the collar C on a horizontal rod. There are three springs attached to it at the same point on the collar. Spring 1 is attached from the collar straight down to a pin at 150 mm below the collar (undeformed). Spring 2 is attached to another pin connection 150 mm below the collar and 150 mm to the left of the collar (45-45-90 triangle). And finally Spring 3 is attached 150 mm below the collar and 300 mm to the left of it.

Homework Equations

E = KE + PE + U
PE of a spring = 1/2kΔx2
Ei = Ef

The Attempt at a Solution

First find the deformed length of the springs.
Spring 3: l = √((.15m)2 + (.3m)2)
l = 0.3354 m
Δx3 = 0.3354m - 0.15m
Δx3 = 0.1854m

Spring 2: l = √((.15m)2 + (.15m)2)
l = 0.21213 m
Δx2 = 0.21213m - 0.15m
Δx2 = 0.06213m

Spring 1: Undeformed Δx = 0m

now Ei = PE (from the deformed springs, no KE or U)
Ei = 1/2k1(Δx1)1 + 1/2k2(Δx2)2 + 1/2k3(Δx3)3
Ei = 1/2(400N/m)(0m)2 + 1/2(400N/m)(0.06213m)2 + 1/2(400N/m)(0.1854m)2
Ei = 7.6459J

From the Law of Conservation of Energy Ei = Ef and velocity will be max when there is no spring potential energy restricting the collar and only KE.

Ef = 1/2mv2
7.6459J = 1/2(1.2kg)v2
3.57 m/s = v

That is the answer I got however the answer in the book is v = 3.19 m/s
I'm guessing one of the springs will still no matter what restrict some movement? I'm not sure what else to do on this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi jaredogden! :wink:
jaredogden said:
From the Law of Conservation of Energy Ei = Ef and velocity will be max when there is no spring potential energy restricting the collar and only KE.

nope :redface:

velocity will be max when spring potential energy is min (not zero), won't it? …

and they've set up the question so that it's fairly obvious where the min is, so just calculate the PE there :smile:

That was my last question, I guess there will always be some sort of spring potential acting on it, but it is at its least when the collar has moved 150 mm to the left and the outer springs are barely deformed while the middle one isn't at all.

I added in a 2(1/2)(400N/m)(0.06213m)2 component which would account for the two outer springs.

I got the right answer after that! Thanks so much for the little push in the right direction!

1. What is the concept of dynamics in relation to a collar with three restricting springs?

Dynamics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects and the forces that cause them to move. In the case of a collar with three restricting springs, dynamics would involve analyzing the motion of the collar as it moves horizontally, taking into account the forces exerted by the springs.

2. How is the maximum horizontal speed of the collar determined?

The maximum horizontal speed of the collar is determined by the strength and stiffness of the three restricting springs, as well as the initial velocity of the collar. The more restrictive the springs are, the slower the collar will move, and vice versa.

3. What factors can affect the maximum horizontal speed of the collar?

Aside from the strength and stiffness of the springs, the maximum horizontal speed of the collar can also be affected by external forces such as friction and air resistance. Additionally, the mass of the collar and any other objects attached to it can also impact its speed.

4. How can the maximum horizontal speed of the collar be calculated?

The maximum horizontal speed of the collar can be calculated using Newton's laws of motion and the principle of conservation of energy. By considering all the forces acting on the collar and the energy exchanged between the springs and the collar, the maximum speed can be determined.

5. Is it possible for the maximum horizontal speed of the collar to exceed the initial velocity?

Yes, it is possible for the maximum horizontal speed of the collar to exceed the initial velocity. This can happen if the springs are strong enough to provide a significant amount of energy to the collar, allowing it to accelerate beyond its initial velocity. However, this also depends on other factors such as friction and air resistance.