Dynamics Question Grade 11 Level

In summary, a parachutist with an air friction force of 150 N and an acceleration of 7.9 m/s^2 can use the formula a = (Fg-Ff)/m to determine the combined weight of themselves and the parachute. By multiplying both sides by m and rearranging the equation, the combined weight can be found.
kylepetten

Homework Statement

A parachutist experiences an air friction force of 150 N and an acceleration of 7.9 m/s^2. What is the combined weight of the parachutist and the parachute?

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

a= (Fg-Ff)/(m)

7.9 = (mg-Ff)/(m)

7.9 = (m(9.8)-(150N))/(m)

And that is as far as I could go. I thought I was using the right formula but I do not know for sure. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi kylepetten! Welcome to PF! :wink:
kylepetten said:
A parachutist experiences an air friction force of 150 N and an acceleration of 7.9 m/s^2. What is the combined weight of the parachutist and the parachute?

7.9 = (m(9.8)-(150N))/(m)

And that is as far as I could go. I thought I was using the right formula but I do not know for sure. Thanks.

Looks good!

Now multiply both sides by m (hmm … why did you ever divide in the first place? :confused:), and rearrange. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi kylepetten! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Looks good!

Now multiply both sides by m (hmm … why did you ever divide in the first place? :confused:), and rearrange. :smile:

Thank-you for welcoming me here! I hope to be able to both get help and help people when my physics knowledge improves. And even more thanks for helping me understand this question! :) Much Appreciated.

1. What is dynamics in physics?

Dynamics in physics is the study of how objects move and interact with each other. It involves understanding the forces that act on objects and how these forces affect their motion.

2. What are some examples of dynamics?

Some examples of dynamics include the motion of a swinging pendulum, the acceleration of a car, and the force of gravity pulling objects towards the Earth.

3. What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be written as the formula F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

4. How is dynamics related to kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of motion without considering the forces that cause the motion. Dynamics, on the other hand, takes into account the forces acting on objects and how they affect their motion. Thus, dynamics is an extension of kinematics, providing a deeper understanding of the causes of motion.

5. How can I apply dynamics to real-life situations?

Dynamics is applicable to many real-life situations, such as calculating the forces acting on a car during a collision or determining the trajectory of a projectile. It can also be used in engineering and design to ensure the stability and safety of structures and machines. Understanding dynamics can also help in everyday activities, such as playing sports or driving a car.