Dynamics relative acceleration question

In summary: Yes, this is the diagram you meant. When you have a circular object moving at a certain speed, the acceleration is always towards the center of the circle. This means that the acceleration of B is into the center of rotation, making the acceleration negative and so when I use the equation aA/B = aa - ab this gives me the correct answer?Yes, this is the diagram you meant. When you have a circular object moving at a certain speed, the acceleration is always towards the center of the circle. This means that the acceleration of B is into the center of rotation, making the acceleration negative and so when I use the equation aA/B = aa - ab this gives me the correct answer
beccawalker

Homework Statement

Aircraft A is flying NorthWest at 800km/h. Aircraft B is flying in a circular, anticlockwise holding pattern, radius of 5km, at 400km/h.Show that the acceleration of A relative to B is

A(A/B)= 2.469cosθBi+2.469sinθBj m/s2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that aA/B = aA - ab and that a=v2/r

I changed 400km/h into 2.47m/s (multiplied by 1000 and divided by 360) and used it with the 5000m radius to get an acceleration of 2.47m/s but I’m not sure if this is correct or not? I don’t know how to get the acceleration of A.

I know that aA = |aA|cosθAi + |aA|sinθAj and I know the same equation applies for aB and for aA/B

If anyone can tell me if the acceleration I have worked out is correct or not that would be great and also how to work out the acceleration of A that would be very helpful, thank you:)

Physics news on Phys.org
2.469 is the correct answer as provided in the question. Make sure you don't have a rounding error with your 2.47.

What you say you "used it with the 5000m radius", how did you use it.

I presume you mean divided by 3600 rather than 360

Stephen Hodgson said:
2.469 is the correct answer as provided in the question. Make sure you don't have a rounding error with your 2.47.

What you say you "used it with the 5000m radius", how did you use it.

I presume you mean divided by 3600 rather than 360
Thank you for responding! Yeah I meant I divided by 3600 rather than 360. What happens to the acceleration of A? As it is the acceleration of A relative to B so I thought I would need to use the equation AA/B = Aa - Ab?

But A is not accelerating?

beccawalker said:

Homework Statement

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I know that aA/B = aA - ab and that a=v2/r

I changed 400km/h into 2.47m/s (multiplied by 1000 and divided by 360) and used it with the 5000m radius to get an acceleration of 2.47m/s but I’m not sure if this is correct or not? I don’t know how to get the acceleration of A.

A speed of 400 km / hr is not equivalent to 2.47 m/s. When you convert 400 km / hr to the correct speed in m/s and use it with a radius of 5000 m, you get an acceleration of 2.47 m/s2 [note the units].

The m/s was a typing error, I meant m/s2 :) As A is not accelerating then using the equation aA/B = aa - ab = 0cos135i + 0sin135j -2.469cosθBi-2.469sinθBj
= 0 + 0 -2.469cosθBi-2.469sinθBj
=-2.469cosθBi-2.469sinθBj m/s2
Which is negative of the answer I'm trying to get? Is the acceleration negative due to B flying in an anticlockwise direction?

why is ab necessarily 2.469cosθi+2.469sinθj ? Draw a diagram of B and take a look at the direction the acceleration is pointing.

Snapshot.jpg
The acceleration is going anticlockwise, making it negative and so ab = -2.469cosθi - 2.469sinθj ?

You've drawn on the path it takes. Draw on the acceleration.

Snapshot2.jpg
Is that what you mean? If not, then I'm not really sure what else it could be

Aha. There's the hole in the understanding!

If something is moving in circular motion (e.g. I'm whizzing round a ball on a string) In which direction do you think the acceleration will be in? (Think about the forces on the ball)

Or think about the forces on the Earth orbiting the Sun

The Earth accelerates towards the sun which results in a centripetal force on the earth?

Exactly! for circular motion, the acceleration is always towards the centre of rotation.

So now you can redraw the diagram with acceleration. Think about how you could parametrise the acceleration in terms of θ

Snapshot3.jpg
Is this the diagram you meant? Because the acceleration of B is into the centre of rotation, does this make the acceleration negative and so when I use the equation aA/B = aa - ab this gives me the correct answer?

So if you wanted to write the position vector of B in terms of r and θ, how would you do this?

1. What is dynamics relative acceleration?

Dynamics relative acceleration refers to the change in velocity of an object relative to another object or point in space. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the change in velocity.

2. How is dynamics relative acceleration calculated?

Dynamics relative acceleration is calculated using the formula a = (v2 - v1) / t, where a is the acceleration, v2 is the final velocity, v1 is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What is the difference between dynamics relative acceleration and normal acceleration?

Normal acceleration refers to the change in velocity of an object in a straight line, while dynamics relative acceleration takes into account the change in velocity in multiple directions. Normal acceleration is a scalar quantity, while dynamics relative acceleration is a vector quantity.

4. How is dynamics relative acceleration used in real-world applications?

Dynamics relative acceleration is used in fields such as physics, engineering, and space exploration to analyze and predict the motion of objects in relation to each other. It is also used in the design of vehicles and structures to ensure they can withstand different types of acceleration.

5. What are some factors that can affect dynamics relative acceleration?

Some factors that can affect dynamics relative acceleration include the mass of the objects involved, the force applied, and the angle of acceleration. Other factors such as friction, air resistance, and gravity can also impact the acceleration of an object.