Solving a Vertical Winch System

In summary, the problem involves an electric winch lifting a 40-kg package and a 10-kg package up a building. The frictional force between the wall and the 40-kg package is 60N and the angle the cable makes with the vertical is 15 degrees. The packages are being lowered with an acceleration of 1.0 m/s2 [D]. To find the tension in the cable between the winch and the 40.0 kg package, a force diagram for each block must be drawn and the correct numbers must be used in the equations. The solution involves finding the tension in the cable between the winch and the 10-kg package and then using that to find the tension between the
Hey! I'm having some problems with this question:
An electric winch is used to raise a 40-kg package and a 10-kg package vertically up the side of a building as pictured in the diagram. The magnitude of the frictional force acting between the wall and the 40-kg package is 60N. The angle the cable makes to the vertical is 15. If the packages are lowered with an acceleration 1.0 m/s2 [D], what is the tension in the cable between the winch and the 40.0 kg package?

We were also given a diagram:
http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b505/homework2012/Untitled_zpsd252a02a.jpg

How i solved it:
(1) Fnet y= Fg1+Fg2+T2+T1Y+FK
mnet(anet)= Fg1+Fg2-T2-T1Y-FK
(2) Fnet=Fg+T2
ma=m2g-T2
(10)(0.1)=(10)(9.8)-T2
T2 = 88N
(3) mnet(anet)= Fg1+Fg2-T2-T1Y-FK
(50)(0.1)= 40(9.8) + 10(9.8) -88 -T1Y- 60
T1Y= 292N
(4) Sin?=o/h
Sin75=292/h
h = 302.3 N

Is how i solved it right? If not is there another way I should be solving it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a force diagram for each block separately. (1) and (3) are wrong. You also didn't use the right numbers when you plugged into (2).

1. What is a dynamics system?

A dynamics system is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of a system over time. It can be used to analyze and predict the motion or change of a system, such as a physical object, a population, or a chemical reaction.

2. What are the key components of a dynamics system?

The key components of a dynamics system include the system's state variables, which represent the current state of the system, and the system's dynamics, which describe how the state variables change over time. Other important elements include the system's inputs, outputs, and constraints.

3. How are dynamics systems used in science?

Dynamics systems are used in many fields of science, including physics, biology, ecology, and engineering. They are used to model and understand the behavior of complex systems, and to make predictions about how the system will change over time.

4. What are the types of dynamics systems?

There are several types of dynamics systems, including deterministic systems, which can be completely described by their initial conditions and governing equations, and stochastic systems, which incorporate random elements. Other types include linear and nonlinear systems, and continuous and discrete systems.

5. How are dynamics systems analyzed?

Dynamics systems are typically analyzed using mathematical tools and techniques, such as differential equations, linear algebra, and computer simulations. These methods allow scientists to study the behavior of a system and make predictions about its future behavior.