Dynamics: Time taken for Block A to slide on Block B

In summary: Block A has acceleration of magnitude "a" going up the incline; Block B has the same magnitude of acceleration going down the incline. Adjust your signs accordingly. (Compare the direction of acceleration with the directions of the forces.)
jdawg

Homework Statement

Find the time it takes for block A to slide 0.5m on block B.
Mass A=10 kg
Mass B=35 kg
I included a screen shot from my online homework.

Homework Equations

FR=FNμk

The Attempt at a Solution

For Block A:
mAa=T-FRA-WAsin(30)
T=10a+68.67

For Block B:
FRC=(mAg+mBg)μBC
FRA=mAAB
mBa=T+FRC-FRA-WAsin(30)-WBsin(30)

After substituting in all my values:
35a=T-196.2
T=35a+196.2

Setting my Tensions equal to each other:
10a+68.67=35a+196.2

magnitude of a=5.1012

Finding time:
s-s0=0.5at2+v0t
s0=0
v0t=0

0.5=.5(5.1012)t2

t=0.443s

Which is wrong... I can't figure out what exactly I'm doing wrong.

Attachments

• dyn13.37.png
    dyn13.37.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 401
  • dyn1.png
    dyn1.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 371
  • dyn2.png
    dyn2.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 367
Physics news on Phys.org
jdawg said:
For Block B:
FRC=(mAg+mBg)μBC
FRA=mAgμAB
mBa=T+FRC-FRA-WAsin(30)-WBsin(30)
(1) Careful with signs: What are the directions of those frictional forces on block B?
(2) Careful with signs: What is the direction of the acceleration of block B? (Since you use "a" as the magnitude of the acceleration, apply the signs correctly.)
(3) Why does the weight of A enter into an equation for B?

Likes jdawg
Ok, I see what you mean with the friction forces.
Does the weight of block A not put a force on block B?

jdawg said:
Does the weight of block A not put a force on block B?
Certainly block A exerts both a normal force and a friction force on block B. But the weight of block A is a force that acts on block A, not B.

Ok! So my new equation for B is this:
mBa=T+mBAB+mBBC-mBgsin(30)

Plugging in values...
T=35a+68.67

I still think I messed up, when I set these equations equal to each other, my acceleration ends up being 0 :(

jdawg said:
Ok! So my new equation for B is this:
mBa=T+mBgμAB+mBgμBC-mBgsin(30)
Note my previous item (2): Take care with the sign of the acceleration. There is a constraint: If block A moves up the incline, how must block B move?

I agree that block B should move down the incline. I'm not sure which part of my equation you're saying needs the sign change.

jdawg said:
I agree that block B should move down the incline. I'm not sure which part of my equation you're saying needs the sign change.
Block A has acceleration of magnitude "a" going up the incline; Block B has the same magnitude of acceleration going down the incline. Adjust your signs accordingly. (Compare the direction of acceleration with the directions of the forces.)

1. How is the time taken for Block A to slide on Block B calculated?

The time taken for Block A to slide on Block B is calculated using the formula t = √(2d/g), where t is the time in seconds, d is the distance in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. What factors can affect the time taken for Block A to slide on Block B?

The time taken for Block A to slide on Block B can be affected by factors such as the coefficient of friction between the two blocks, the mass of Block A, the angle of the incline, and any external forces acting on the blocks.

3. Can the time taken for Block A to slide on Block B be reduced?

Yes, the time taken for Block A to slide on Block B can be reduced by decreasing the distance between the blocks, increasing the angle of the incline, or decreasing the mass of Block A.

4. How does the surface of Block B affect the time taken for Block A to slide on it?

The surface of Block B can affect the time taken for Block A to slide on it by changing the coefficient of friction. A rougher surface will have a higher coefficient of friction, resulting in a longer time for Block A to slide. A smoother surface will have a lower coefficient of friction, resulting in a shorter time for Block A to slide.

5. Is the time taken for Block A to slide on Block B affected by the initial velocity of Block A?

No, the time taken for Block A to slide on Block B is not affected by the initial velocity of Block A. The time is only dependent on the distance between the blocks and the acceleration due to gravity.