(E&M) Charge and electric field in a two plate system.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of charge and electric field within a system of two metal plates with a potential difference of 10 V across them. The electric field between the plates is found to be 250 V/m and there is no electric field inside the conductors. The conversation also includes a brief off-topic discussion about the University of Hull and its physics department.
Chewy247
1. Two metal plates, 10 mm thick, are held a distance z=40 mm apart with a potential difference of 10 V across them. As you look at them the positive plate is on the left. In between the plates is a vacuum. Ignoring edge effects and assuming unit area for the plates, calculate both the charge and the electric field within this system. Hence, plot a graph of charge density against position across the 60 mm from the back of one plate to the back of the other. Hence draw a graph of electric field against position over the same range.2. Homework Equations ?
3. The Attempt at a Solution - did but got stupid answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chewy247 said:
1. Two metal plates, 10 mm thick, are held a distance z=40 mm apart with a potential difference of 10 V across them. As you look at them the positive plate is on the left. In between the plates is a vacuum. Ignoring edge effects and assuming unit area for the plates, calculate both the charge and the electric field within this system. Hence, plot a graph of charge density against position across the 60 mm from the back of one plate to the back of the other. Hence draw a graph of electric field against position over the same range.

2. Homework Equations ?

Welcome to the PF.

What is the electric field inside the conductors themselves (inside the plates, from back to front)?

What is the value of the electric field between the plates? You are given the numbers 10V and 40mm apart. What are the units of electric field?...

electric field between the plates: V/D = 250 v/m is that right? for the plates that would be 1000 v/m. you see that's where I started thinking wtf.

Chewy247 said:
electric field between the plates: V/D = 250 v/m is that right? for the plates that would be 1000 v/m. you see that's where I started thinking wtf.

Correct on the field strength between the plates. Remember, though, that there can be no electric field inside of a conductor...

Great. I've got it sussed now. Thanks for the hint my man!

Chewy247 said:
1. Two metal plates, 10 mm thick, are held a distance z=40 mm apart with a potential difference of 10 V across them. As you look at them the positive plate is on the left. In between the plates is a vacuum. Ignoring edge effects and assuming unit area for the plates, calculate both the charge and the electric field within this system. Hence, plot a graph of charge density against position across the 60 mm from the back of one plate to the back of the other. Hence draw a graph of electric field against position over the same range.

2. Homework Equations ?

do you by any chance do physics at the university of hull ;)

Hahah Yeah I do. Do you happen to have gone there in the past? Coz I've never heard of a tom brown.

Chewy247 said:
Hahah Yeah I do. Do you happen to have gone there in the past? Coz I've never heard of a tom brown.

haha no I am there now in 1st year, recognised a question from the em assignment and figured it most be someone in my class lol. Tom Brown is just a nickname, real name is chris. I am the tall guy with glasses, usually sits near the back :)

Tall guy with glasses, can't say I've noticed ya... I must be too busy swatting or sleeping in lectures. lol I'm the guy that knocks around with the old git and the ****-knuckle in the halo reach hoodie, also near the back.

Please take the off-topic conversation to PMs guys. Thanks.

What is charge and how is it measured in a two plate system?

Charge is a fundamental property of matter that describes the amount of electric force an object experiences. In a two plate system, charge is typically measured in Coulombs (C) using a device called a charge meter.

How does charge affect the electric field in a two plate system?

Charge creates an electric field, which is a force field that surrounds charged objects. In a two plate system, the amount of charge on each plate will determine the strength and direction of the electric field between the two plates.

Can the electric field between two plates be manipulated?

Yes, the electric field between two plates can be manipulated by changing the distance between the plates or by altering the amount of charge on the plates. Additionally, the shape and material of the plates can also affect the electric field.

What is the relationship between charge and voltage in a two plate system?

Charge and voltage are directly proportional in a two plate system. This means that as the amount of charge on the plates increases, the voltage between the plates also increases.

How does the presence of other objects or materials affect the electric field in a two plate system?

The presence of other objects or materials can impact the electric field in a two plate system by altering the distribution of charges and changing the strength and direction of the field. Conducting materials, for example, can influence the flow of charges and thus affect the electric field.