E=mc² Explained: Uses for Projectiles & Explosions

• Thread starter nicholas0211510
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, E=mc² is a well-known equation that represents the relationship between mass and energy. It is commonly associated with nuclear energy and atomic bombs, but it does not directly measure the destructive power of projectiles or explosions. While some mass can be converted to energy in these situations, it is not a significant amount and does not accurately reflect the destructive energy.
nicholas0211510
I know the basics of E=mc² and it being mass energy, but someone told me its also used for projectiles and explosions how does it corrolate with destructive power ?

Thank you in advanced

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know what "[itex]E= mc^2[/itex]" means then you should be able to work that out. It does not really have anything to do with "projectiles" since that does not change mass into energy. In a nuclear explosion some mass (typically a tiny fraction of the total mass) is converted to energy. Now what that is in "destructive energy" depends on exactly what you mean by "destructive energy". Not all of that energy "destroys" things.

e=mc^2 wasn't the only thing behind atomic weaponry, if that is what your asking. The relationship between mass and energy just helped scientists develop the atom bombs. Check out this website: http://www.einstein-online.info/spotlights/atombombe

Ah that claifys things, and sorry I didn't specify what I ment in destruction, our convo was talking about a astroid striking earth, he said E=mc² is what is used used to measure it , it sounded suspicious so I came here to ask some more experienced people

nicholas0211510 said:
Ah that claifys things, and sorry I didn't specify what I ment in destruction, our convo was talking about a astroid striking earth, he said E=mc² is what is used used to measure it , it sounded suspicious so I came here to ask some more experienced people
I'm not sure how that works. Sorry.

Likes nicholas0211510
Isaac0427 said:
I'm not sure how that works. Sorry.
alright, I guess I'll just do some reading on line

Appreciate the help

nicholas0211510 said:
E=mc2 is not what is used to measure the destructive power of an asteroid striking earth. The fellow who said it was... was mistaken.

If one wanted to determine the energy released in an impact with such an asteroid, E=1/2mv2 would be the appropriate measure.

Likes Nugatory, Isaac0427, Mentallic and 1 other person
The problem is the difficulty of converting mass to energy. Simply colliding an asteroid into a planet isn't going to do it. As others have said, that's not the right kind of interaction.

In an atomic explosion some of the mass is converted to energy. Google found references that suggest for the Little Boy bomb only about 600mg of 64kg was turned into energy. That's a very low percentage of the total mass but a heck of a lot of energy.

Related to E=mc² Explained: Uses for Projectiles & Explosions

1. What does the equation E=mc² stand for?

The equation E=mc² stands for energy equals mass times the speed of light squared. It is a famous equation discovered by Albert Einstein that relates the amount of energy contained in an object to its mass and the speed of light.

2. How is E=mc² used in projectiles?

In projectiles, E=mc² is used to calculate the amount of energy that can be released from the mass of the projectile. This energy can then be used to determine the projectile's velocity and impact force.

3. Can E=mc² be used to explain explosions?

Yes, E=mc² can be used to explain explosions. In an explosion, the mass of a substance is converted into energy, according to the equation E=mc². This energy is what causes the explosive force and destruction.

4. How does E=mc² relate to nuclear energy?

E=mc² is the basis for nuclear energy. In nuclear reactions, a small amount of mass is converted into a large amount of energy, according to the equation E=mc². This is what makes nuclear reactions so powerful and is used to create electricity in nuclear power plants.

5. Are there any practical applications of E=mc²?

Yes, there are several practical applications of E=mc². Some of the most well-known applications include nuclear energy, nuclear weapons, and medical imaging technologies such as positron emission tomography (PET) scans.