E Raised to the Power of a Matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses using a spectrally decomposed matrix and the power series to find $$e^{M}$$ where $$M=\begin{pmatrix} 5 & -2 \\ -2 & 2 \end{pmatrix}$$. It also mentions a possible error in computing the result using hyperbolic functions and suggests using the simple result of ##\exp(D)## instead.
kq6up

Homework Statement

Use a spectrally decomposed matrix and the power series to yield $$e^{M}$$ where $$M=\begin{pmatrix} 5 & -2 \\ -2 & 2 \end{pmatrix}$$.

Homework Equations

$${ M }^{ n }=C{ D }^{ n }{ C }^{ -1 }$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Is this correct? $${ e }^{ M }=\frac { 1 }{ 5 } \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1 \\ 2 & \frac { -1 }{ 2 } \end{pmatrix}\left( \sum _{ i=0 }^{ \infty }{ \frac { \begin{pmatrix} { 1 }^{ n } & 0 \\ 0 & { 6 }^{ n } \end{pmatrix} }{ n! } } \right) \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 2 \\ 4 & -2 \end{pmatrix}$$

Thanks,
Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's correct, but you really should expand that out.

Is this better? $$CI{ C }^{ -1 }+CD{ C }^{ -1 }+\frac { 1 }{ 2 } C{ D }^{ 2 }{ C }^{ -1 }+\frac { 1 }{ 6 } C{ D }^{ 3 }{ C }^{ -1 }\dots$$.

Chris

No. It's a 2x2 matrix. There should be four simple expressions, one for each element of the matrix.

There might be some small error in there because when I use == with $$Ce^{D}C^-1$$ in Sage, I get a false. I am taking that to mean they are not equivalent.

$${ e }^{ 7/2 }\left( \begin{array}{rr} \frac { 1 }{ 2 } \, \cosh \left( \frac { 5 }{ 2 } \right) +\frac { 3 }{ 10 } \, \sinh \left( \frac { 5 }{ 2 } \right) & -\frac { 2 }{ 5 } \, \sinh \left( \frac { 5 }{ 2 } \right) \\ -\frac { 2 }{ 5 } \, \sinh \left( \frac { 5 }{ 2 } \right) & \frac { 1 }{ 2 } \, \cosh \left( \frac { 5 }{ 2 } \right) -\frac { 3 }{ 10 } \, \sinh \left( \frac { 5 }{ 2 } \right) \end{array} \right)$$

Thanks,
Chris Maness

You should be able to compute ##\exp(D)## by hand. You do not need a symbolic math processor for this. You don't need a symbolic math processor for any of this. It's a product of three 2x2 matrices.

I did it by hand. I was just checking my results on Sage.

Chris

What did you do by hand? That matrix in post #5? How did you arrive at that result?

What did you calculate ##\exp(D)## to be?

There was another problem in the set that was similar, and I had the answer. So I knew that it would have sinh(x), cosh(x) in the answer because of this answer, so I just made it fit that form so I can use sinh(x) and cosh(x). It didn't come out as pretty I was hoping for.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

Yes, you can express this result using the hyperbolic functions. You made an error somewhere, however.

If you solve the problem as suggested you will *not* be using hyperbolic functions. What did you get for ##\exp(D)##? Did you even try doing that? That is part of what the question asks you to find. It is very simple result.

Yes, exp(D) is $$\begin{pmatrix} { e }^{ 1 } & 0 \\ 0 & { e }^{ 6 } \end{pmatrix}$$.

Chris

This is what I got before I tried to convert it to hyperbolic functions:

$$\left( \begin{array}{rr} \frac { 4 }{ 5 } \, e^{ 6 }+\frac { 1 }{ 5 } \, e & -\frac { 2 }{ 5 } \, e^{ 6 }+\frac { 2 }{ 5 } \, e \\ -\frac { 2 }{ 5 } \, e^{ 6 }+\frac { 2 }{ 5 } \, e & \frac { 1 }{ 5 } \, e^{ 6 }+\frac { 4 }{ 5 } \, e \end{array} \right) $$

I did it by hand and with Sage. I got the same result.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

That's the correct result. You made some error in converting that to hyperbolic expressions.

Likes 1 person
kq6up said:
This is what I got before I tried to convert it to hyperbolic functions:

$$\left( \begin{array}{rr} \frac { 4 }{ 5 } \, e^{ 6 }+\frac { 1 }{ 5 } \, e & -\frac { 2 }{ 5 } \, e^{ 6 }+\frac { 2 }{ 5 } \, e \\ -\frac { 2 }{ 5 } \, e^{ 6 }+\frac { 2 }{ 5 } \, e & \frac { 1 }{ 5 } \, e^{ 6 }+\frac { 4 }{ 5 } \, e \end{array} \right) $$

I did it by hand and with Sage. I got the same result.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

Why would you want to try to convert to hyperbolic functions? It would just make everything longer and messier. Isn't it easier to just write ##e## instead of ##\sinh(1)+\cosh(1)?##

1. What is "E raised to the power of a matrix"?

"E raised to the power of a matrix" refers to the exponential function applied to a matrix, where the matrix is raised to a certain power. It is commonly written as e^A, where A is the matrix being raised to the power.

2. What is the significance of "E raised to the power of a matrix" in mathematics?

The exponential function applied to a matrix has various applications in mathematics, including in differential equations, linear algebra, and complex analysis. It also has connections to other important mathematical concepts, such as the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix.

3. How is "E raised to the power of a matrix" calculated?

The exponential function applied to a matrix can be calculated using a Taylor series expansion, where the infinite series is truncated to a finite number of terms. Alternatively, it can be computed using diagonalization or the Jordan canonical form of the matrix.

4. What are some properties of "E raised to the power of a matrix"?

Some notable properties of the exponential function applied to a matrix include:

• It is a continuous function.
  • It commutes with scalar multiplication.
  • It satisfies the identity e^0 = I, where I is the identity matrix.
  • It has the property that e^A * e^B = e^(A+B), where A and B are matrices with compatible dimensions.
  • It has a unique inverse function, known as the logarithm of a matrix, denoted as ln(A).

5. What are some real-world applications of "E raised to the power of a matrix"?

"E raised to the power of a matrix" has various applications in science and engineering, including in modeling physical systems, solving differential equations, and analyzing network flow. It is also used in statistics and probability to model random processes, such as the transition probabilities of a Markov chain.