1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E Raised to the Power of a Matrix

1. May 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use a spectrally decomposed matrix and the power series to yield $$e^{M}$$ where $$M=\begin{pmatrix} 5 & -2 \\ -2 & 2 \end{pmatrix}$$.

2. Relevant equations

$${ M }^{ n }=C{ D }^{ n }{ C }^{ -1 }$$

3. The attempt at a solution

Is this correct? $${ e }^{ M }=\frac { 1 }{ 5 } \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1 \\ 2 & \frac { -1 }{ 2 } \end{pmatrix}\left( \sum _{ i=0 }^{ \infty }{ \frac { \begin{pmatrix} { 1 }^{ n } & 0 \\ 0 & { 6 }^{ n } \end{pmatrix} }{ n! } } \right) \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 2 \\ 4 & -2 \end{pmatrix}$$

Thanks,
    Chris

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2014 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that's correct, but you really should expand that out.

4. May 24, 2014 #3
    Is this better? $$CI{ C }^{ -1 }+CD{ C }^{ -1 }+\frac { 1 }{ 2 } C{ D }^{ 2 }{ C }^{ -1 }+\frac { 1 }{ 6 } C{ D }^{ 3 }{ C }^{ -1 }\dots$$.

Chris

5. May 24, 2014 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No. It's a 2x2 matrix. There should be four simple expressions, one for each element of the matrix.

6. May 24, 2014 #5
    There might be some small error in there because when I use == with $$Ce^{D}C^-1$$ in Sage, I get a false. I am taking that to mean they are not equivalent.

$${ e }^{ 7/2 }\left( \begin{array}{rr} \frac { 1 }{ 2 } \, \cosh \left( \frac { 5 }{ 2 } \right) +\frac { 3 }{ 10 } \, \sinh \left( \frac { 5 }{ 2 } \right) & -\frac { 2 }{ 5 } \, \sinh \left( \frac { 5 }{ 2 } \right) \\ -\frac { 2 }{ 5 } \, \sinh \left( \frac { 5 }{ 2 } \right) & \frac { 1 }{ 2 } \, \cosh \left( \frac { 5 }{ 2 } \right) -\frac { 3 }{ 10 } \, \sinh \left( \frac { 5 }{ 2 } \right) \end{array} \right)$$

Thanks,
    Chris Maness

7. May 24, 2014 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You should be able to compute ##\exp(D)## by hand. You do not need a symbolic math processor for this. You don't need a symbolic math processor for any of this. It's a product of three 2x2 matrices.

8. May 24, 2014 #7
    I did it by hand. I was just checking my results on Sage.

Chris

9. May 24, 2014 #8

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What did you do by hand? That matrix in post #5? How did you arrive at that result?

What did you calculate ##\exp(D)## to be?

10. May 24, 2014 #9
    There was another problem in the set that was similar, and I had the answer. So I knew that it would have sinh(x), cosh(x) in the answer because of this answer, so I just made it fit that form so I can use sinh(x) and cosh(x). It didn't come out as pretty I was hoping for.

Thanks,
    Chris Maness

11. May 24, 2014 #10

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, you can express this result using the hyperbolic functions. You made an error somewhere, however.

If you solve the problem as suggested you will *not* be using hyperbolic functions. What did you get for ##\exp(D)##? Did you even try doing that? That is part of what the question asks you to find. It is very simple result.

12. May 24, 2014 #11
    Yes, exp(D) is $$\begin{pmatrix} { e }^{ 1 } & 0 \\ 0 & { e }^{ 6 } \end{pmatrix}$$.

Chris

13. May 24, 2014 #12
    This is what I got before I tried to convert it to hyperbolic functions:

$$\left( \begin{array}{rr} \frac { 4 }{ 5 } \, e^{ 6 }+\frac { 1 }{ 5 } \, e & -\frac { 2 }{ 5 } \, e^{ 6 }+\frac { 2 }{ 5 } \, e \\ -\frac { 2 }{ 5 } \, e^{ 6 }+\frac { 2 }{ 5 } \, e & \frac { 1 }{ 5 } \, e^{ 6 }+\frac { 4 }{ 5 } \, e \end{array} \right) $$

I did it by hand and with Sage. I got the same result.

Thanks,
    Chris Maness

14. May 24, 2014 #13

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's the correct result. You made some error in converting that to hyperbolic expressions.

15. May 25, 2014 #14

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why would you want to try to convert to hyperbolic functions? It would just make everything longer and messier. Isn't it easier to just write ##e## instead of ##\sinh(1)+\cosh(1)?##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted