Calculate Your True Spending Power

In summary, you earn $1000 a month, and subtract 38% from that, which leaves you with $700 a month. You can then deduct all the taxes that you pay, including sales tax, car tax, and fuel tax. If you buy anything, you have to pay sales tax. If you have investments, you may get taxed on them.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Do you know what your actual spending power is ? If you earn $1000 a month deduct all the taxes, fuel, purchase, income, etc, etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
Huh? Subtract your income from your income?

Could you be a little clearer about how you define "spending power"? Do you mean "disposable income"?

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
Huh? Subtract your income from your income?

Could you be a little clearer about how you define "spending power"? Do you mean "disposable income"?

I mean how much of your total pay can be used to buy goods or services.

IE earn $1 deduct all payable taxes what are you left with?

Last edited:
If I subtract 38% from my gross income, I come close to my take home pay.

Evo said:
If I subtract 38% from my gross income, I come close to my take home pay.
OK, so now deduct all the other taxes you pay.

wolram said:
OK, so now deduct all the other taxes you pay.
Ok if I buy anythng, then I have to pay sales tax. Not sure how much the total is.

Evo said:
Ok if I buy anythng, then I have to pay sales tax. Not sure how much the total is.

And do you pay car tax/pay tolls, do you pay property taxes?

wolram said:
And do you pay car tax/pay tolls, do you pay property taxes?
I paid property tax last year, but they are deducted from my Federal Income Tax, you pay an annual fee to license your car.

Do you get taxed on your savings/investments?

httpn.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_the_United_Kingdom

This is what we pay for.

Council tax
income tax
car tax
vat
savings taxes
inheritance tax
stamp duty
fuel tax
parking taxes, it is about £3 for 1hour stay at hospital car park.
If you drive into London, congestion tax
There are sure to be others.

wolram said:
Do you get taxed on your savings/investments?
Yes, but you can put them into special savings that defers the tax. Also, I can place money for medical expenses into a Flexible Spending Account so the money I use for medical purposes is not taxed.

Of my gross income:
- Council tax ~ 3%
- Income tax ~ 22%
- Car tax ~ 0.7%
- VAT ~ 6%
- Fuel tax ~ 5.5%

Total 37.2% of what I earn is taken by the taxman, in one form or another. Plus National Insurance.

brewnog said:
Of my gross income:
- Council tax ~ 3%
- Income tax ~ 22%
- Car tax ~ 0.7%
- VAT ~ 6%
- Fuel tax ~ 5.5%

Total 37.2% of what I earn is taken by the taxman, in one form or another. Plus National Insurance.

And the next stealth tax, electronic dust bins to weigh how much one throws away and
charge accordingly ( i should get a rebate for that).

Evo said:
I can place money for medical expenses into a Flexible Spending Account so the money I use for medical purposes is not taxed.

Try not to use it up.

wolram said:
Try not to use it up.
That's the catch, you have to guess how much to set aside for medical expenses for the next year and use it all or you lose what you don't spend. So you always put less into the account than you think you'll use. It's great for medical emergencies because even though the money comes out of your paycheck in equal monthly amounts over the next year, you can use all of the money interest and tax free on the first day of the year even though you haven't paid anything into the account yet.

1. What is "Calculate Your True Spending Power"?

"Calculate Your True Spending Power" is a tool that helps individuals determine their real purchasing power by taking into account factors such as taxes, inflation, and cost of living.

2. How is true spending power different from regular purchasing power?

Regular purchasing power only considers the amount of money a person has, while true spending power takes into account the impact of taxes, inflation, and cost of living on that money.

3. How accurate is the calculation of true spending power?

The calculation of true spending power is based on current economic data and is generally accurate. However, individual circumstances may vary and may affect the accuracy of the calculation.

4. Can "Calculate Your True Spending Power" be used for businesses?

Yes, the tool can be used for businesses as well to determine the true purchasing power of their income and profits.

5. How can I use the results of "Calculate Your True Spending Power" in my financial planning?

The results of "Calculate Your True Spending Power" can help you make more informed financial decisions, as it gives you a better understanding of your real purchasing power and how it may change over time. This can be useful in budgeting, saving, and investing for your future financial goals.