Easy curl/conservative question

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between a simply connected, curl-free vector field and its path independence. It is confirmed that this is a direct result of Stokes' theorem and is useful in physics. The vector field interpretation of "incompressible" is also discussed, with the conclusion that it means the density of individual fluid particles is constant. However, this is not the same as asserting that density is constant, as conservation of mass requires that the divergence of the velocity field is zero. It is also mentioned that the path-independence of line integrals of vector fields can refer to both the dot product and cross product, with the latter requiring an incompressible vector field.
member 428835
hey pf!

can someone comment on this statement i believe to be true: a simply connected, curl-free vector field is conservative (path independent).

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What comment to give? It's an immediate result of Stokes' theorem (integral formula) and is very useful in physics (electrodynamics).

thanks for confirming this!

I am used to incompressible, irrotational fluid flow being a requirement for path independence. What is the vector field interpretation of "incompressible"?

vector notation for incompressible?? no idea. but if a fluid is incompressible then density is constant.

A vector field is an incompressible flow if the total net flux through any closed surface is zero.

FactChecker said:
What is the vector field interpretation of "incompressible"?

If ##\vec{v}## is the velocity field of the fluid then ##\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{v} = \frac{1}{V}\vec{\nabla}_{\vec{v}} V## where ##V## is a volume element carried along the fluid flow. Do you know the definition of an incompressible fluid in terms of volume elements? Can this volume element change along the flow if the fluid is incompressible? What does that tell you about ##\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{v}##?

Likes 1 person
I always thought that incompressible was also required for path independence, but it is not clear to me now. Obviously irrotational is required since otherwise some circles would have different clockwise and counterclockwise integrals.

The path-independence of line integrals, i.e., their only dependence of initial and final points of the paths but not their shapes implies that the line integral along all closed lines is zero. In a simply connected region of space and if the vector field in question is continuously differentiable in this region that follows from the vanishing of its curl (Poincare's Lemma)
[tex]\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{V}=0 \; \Leftrightarrow \; \int_{\mathcal{C}} \mathrm{d} \vec{r} \cdot \vec{V} \; \Leftrightarrow \; \vec{V}=-\vec{\nabla} \Phi.[/tex]
In the same way you can show that a vector field whose integral over any closed surface vanishes in a region, where each such surface can be continuously contracted to a point is a solenoidal field and its divergence vanishes:
[tex]\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{V}=0 \; \Leftrightarrow \; \int_S \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{F} \cdot \vec{V}=0 \; \Leftrightarrow \; \vec{V}=\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A}.[/tex]
From this it follows the Helmholtz decomposition theorem, i.e., for any sufficiently well-behaved vector field in sufficiently nice regions of space you can write
[tex]\vec{V}=-\vec{\Phi}+\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A}.[/tex]
The scalar potential [itex]\Phi[/itex] is determined from its sources, i.e.,
[tex]\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{V}=-\Delta \vec{\Phi}[/tex]
and the vector potential [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] from its vortices,
[tex]\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{V}= \vec{\nabla} \times (\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A}).[/tex]
Since [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] is only defined up to a gradient field, you can demand
[tex]\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{A}=0,[/tex]
and then the latter equation simplifies to (in Cartesian coordinates)
[tex]\Delta \vec{A}=-\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{V}.[/tex]
So you get the decomposition with help of any Green's function of the Laplace operator that satisfies the boundary conditions suitable for your problem:
[tex]\Phi(\vec{x})=\int \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x}' G(\vec{x},\vec{x}') \nabla' \cdot \vec{V}(\vec{x}')[/tex]
and
[tex]\vec{A}(\vec{x})=\int \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x}' G(\vec{x},\vec{x}') \nabla' \times \vec{V}(\vec{x}').[/tex]
The Green's function satisfies
[tex]\Delta_{\vec{x}} G(\vec{x},\vec{x}')=-\delta^{(3)}(\vec{x}-\vec{x}').[/tex]
For free space we have
[tex]G(\vec{x},\vec{x}')=\frac{1}{4 \pi |\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|},[/tex]
i.e., the electrostatic potential of a unit point charge located at [itex]\vec{x}'[/itex] (Coulomb potential).

joshmccraney said:
vector notation for incompressible?? no idea. but if a fluid is incompressible then density is constant.

If a fluid is incompressible then the density [itex]\rho[/itex] of individual fluid particles is constant, so that
[tex]
\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} + \vec v \cdot \nabla \rho = 0
[/tex]
which is not the same as asserting that density is constant, ie. [itex]\dfrac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} = 0[/itex] and [itex]\nabla \rho = 0[/itex].

Conservation of mass requires that
[tex]
\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} + \nabla \cdot (\rho \vec v) = 0
[/tex]
and applying the product rule gives
[tex]
\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} + \rho \nabla \cdot \vec v + \vec v \cdot \nabla \rho = 0
[/tex]
and if the fluid is incompressible then this reduces to
[tex]
\nabla \cdot \vec v = 0.
[/tex]

The fact that a vector field is divergence-free says nothing about its path-independence.

Likes 1 person
When people talk about path independence of line integrals of vector fields, is it always [tex] \int_{\mathcal{C}} \mathrm{d} \vec{r} \cdot \vec{V} =0 \; [/tex] that they are referring to?

What about [tex] \int_{\mathcal{C}} \mathrm{d} \vec{r} \times \vec{V} =0 ? \; [/tex] That would require an incompressible (solenoidal) vector field.

Related to Easy curl/conservative question

1. How do I achieve an easy curl look with my hair?

To achieve an easy curl look, you can use a curling iron or hot rollers. Start by sectioning your hair and wrapping small sections around the curling iron or rollers. Hold for a few seconds, then release. Repeat until all sections are curled. You can also use a texturizing spray or mousse to help hold the curls.

2. Can I still achieve an easy curl look if I have naturally straight hair?

Yes, you can still achieve an easy curl look with naturally straight hair. You may need to use a stronger hold product and a smaller barrel curling iron or smaller rollers to create more defined curls. You can also try braiding damp hair before bed and unraveling the braids in the morning for natural-looking curls.

3. How can I maintain my easy curl look throughout the day?

To maintain your easy curl look throughout the day, use a strong hold hairspray or a texturizing spray. You can also lightly tousle your curls with your fingers to revive them if they start to fall flat. Avoid touching your hair too much, as this can cause the curls to loosen and lose their shape.

4. What is the difference between an easy curl and a traditional curl?

The main difference between an easy curl and a traditional curl is the technique used. Easy curls are typically achieved by wrapping the hair around a heated tool, while traditional curls involve using a clamp or clip to hold the hair in place. Easy curls also tend to have a looser, more natural look compared to traditional curls.

5. How can I make my easy curl look more conservative for a professional setting?

To make your easy curl look more conservative for a professional setting, you can use a smaller barrel curling iron or smaller rollers to create tighter, more defined curls. You can also use a hair accessory, such as a headband or scarf, to pull your hair back and create a more polished look. Avoid using too much product, as this can make your hair appear greasy or stiff.