Easy free-falling kinematics question help

• Thread starter elasticities
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the rock is thrown from the top of the building with a velocity of 5m/s and you know that acceleration due to gravity is 9.81m/s^2. The height of the building is 50m. If the rock is thrown from the top of the building with a velocity of 5m/s and you know acceleration due to gravity is 9.81m/s^2, then the rock will reach the ground 3.74 seconds after being thrown.
elasticities

Homework Statement

If the rock is thrown from the top of the building with a velocity of 5m/s [Up].
And you know acceleration due to gravity is 9.81m/s^2 [Down].
And the height of the building is 50m.

Please help! I can't find the time for it to reach the bottom! I am letting up be positive!

Homework Equations

d = V1(t) +1/2(a)(t^2)

That's the only one I can think of! Help!

The Attempt at a Solution

The only way I can do it is to plug in the givens into the formula, am I doing it right or is there something more?

-50=5(t)+1/2(-9.81)(t^2)
0=-4.90500(t^2)+5t+50
t=3.74s or t=-2.73s

I feel stupid, please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is right. Time needs to be positive because we need a result that is after we started the experiment. t=-2.73s is negative, what means it is before the beginning of the experiment so the only correct answer is t=3,74s

Looks OK to me. Which of those times do you think is the right one? (Only one makes physical sense for this problem.)

Karmalo said:
It is right. Time needs to be positive because we need a result that is after we started the experiment. t=-2.73s is negative, what means it is before the beginning of the experiment so the only correct answer is t=3,74s

Thanks for your input, could you see my concern below (as a reply to Doc Al), too?

Doc Al said:
Looks OK to me. Which of those times do you think is the right one? (Only one makes physical sense for this problem.)

The positive time of course. But my issue was that I don't know if I seem to have included the time during which it went upwards reached its max height and then went down. Or is that included in the equation because I set specific signs for directions? Please let me know if you need more explanation of my doubt.

elasticities said:
The positive time of course. But my issue was that I don't know if I seem to have included the time during which it went upwards reached its max height and then went down. Or is that included in the equation because I set specific signs for directions? Please let me know if you need more explanation of my doubt.
That equation takes everything into account. The initial rise to a max height, then the fall to the ground. (Just for fun, see if you can figure out how long it takes to get to the maximum height.)

Doc Al said:
That equation takes everything into account. The initial rise to a max height, then the fall to the ground. (Just for fun, see if you can figure out how long it takes to get to the maximum height.)

Thank you so much for your help! You have no idea how much I appreciate it! :)

elasticities said:

Homework Statement

If the rock is thrown from the top of the building with a velocity of 5m/s [Up].
And you know acceleration due to gravity is 9.81m/s^2 [Down].
And the height of the building is 50m.

Please help! I can't find the time for it to reach the bottom! I am letting up be positive!

Homework Equations

d = V1(t) +1/2(a)(t^2)

That's the only one I can think of! Help!

The Attempt at a Solution

The only way I can do it is to plug in the givens into the formula, am I doing it right or is there something more?

-50=5(t)+1/2(-9.81)(t^2)
0=-4.90500(t^2)+5t+50
t=3.74s or t=-2.73s

I feel stupid, please help!

Neat thing about this is, if you had thrown the rock straight up from the ground, 2.73 seconds later the rock would be 50 m above the ground moving at 5 m/s up. Then 3.74 seconds later from this, the rock would strike the ground a the same velocity it was thrown up at. And of course you could find out the velocity it hits the ground at.

So the math does have some meaning, but like Doc Al said, not in the context of the limits given in the problem.

1. What is free-falling kinematics?

Free-falling kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects that are falling under the influence of gravity alone. It involves analyzing the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of objects during free fall.

2. How is free-falling kinematics different from regular kinematics?

Regular kinematics deals with the motion of objects in general, while free-falling kinematics specifically looks at the motion of objects under the influence of gravity. This means that in free-falling kinematics, the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²) is the only force acting on the object.

3. What is the formula for calculating free-falling kinematics?

The formula for calculating free-falling kinematics is d = ½at², where d is the displacement, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.

4. Can free-falling kinematics be applied to all objects?

Yes, free-falling kinematics can be applied to all objects that are falling under the influence of gravity alone. This includes objects such as apples falling from a tree, a skydiver jumping out of a plane, or a ball being dropped from a height.

5. How can free-falling kinematics be useful in real life?

Free-falling kinematics is useful in many real-life situations such as predicting the trajectory of a falling object, determining the time it takes for an object to hit the ground, or calculating the speed at which an object is falling. It is also essential in fields such as engineering and aviation, where understanding the motion of objects in free fall is crucial for safety and design.