Easy/Fun Games to Program

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
Hello. Anybody know of any fun, and somewhat easy, games to program (I will be using Java if that matters)? I was thinking some card games, like blackjack or poker, any other ideas? To get an idea of the level of easyness I am looking for, I have made Sudoku, and Conway's Game of Life. I spent the last day or so making Sudoku and it prints a board, asks the user for a value and spot, replaces the spot with the new value, and prints the board again, also the program can check to see if a Sudoku board has a correct solution. I am mostly wanting something that would be fun and take some thought.

Thanks!

-Job-

Science Advisor
I'm guessing it will player vs CPU rather than player vs player which kind of limits your choices because for some games (like chess) designing the AI would be very hard. I think definitely Poker is a nice one. You could also do a Mario/Sonic type of game.

BOMBERMAN, CHESS would be the primary too
starcraft, 9 man's something, chinese checkers
hearts, spades,euchre.

othello is probably the easiest.

dduardo

Staff Emeritus
How about Connect 4. The goal of the game is to line up 4 of the same color chips (Horizontally, Vertically or Diagonally). If you are doing it text based you could use X and O. The board could be 10x10 and you would need to parse the board each time to see if there are 4 chips next to each other.

If you want a really hard challenge write an AI player for GO.

Thanks for the ideas. I think I will try out Euchre and Connect 4 next, and then maybe try the others. Thanks!

AKG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Minesweeper

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity