(Easy) Gravitational Force at an angle?

In summary, Peter is seeking help with the theory for a piece of gym equipment he is working on and has provided a drawing for illustration. He is wondering how much weight would be needed on side C to even out the weight distribution, initially thinking 10kg but considering the angles may require less. Another user has pointed out that the cable will sag under the load and the angle between the pulleys will change, making it difficult to find a single weight value that works. They suggest using either the sine of the side angle or the cosine of the top angle, which would result in the same value.
JinglePeter
Hi Guys,

I'm working on the theory for a piece of gym equipment, but I am afraid my physics-capabilities are somewhat limited.

In order to illustrate my question, I have made a drawing, please look at the attachment.

Excuse my english as well, it is not my first language.

So on the image you see a long cable pulled around 3 wheels. For the sake of theory let's assume there is no friction caused by the wheels.

How much weight do you need to put on the cable (Side C) in order to even out the weight distribution?

At first I thought 10 KGs, but I guess the angles make a lower requirement on side C than side A?

Is there someone who can help me confirm this? Preferrably with some kind of math behind it.

Thanks in advance!

- Peter

Attachments

• simple.jpg
    simple.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 406
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jinglepeter. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

To keep that cable from moving, you must oppose the weight acting in line with the cable, viz., 10. sin 30°, and this equals 5kg

So you could hang a 5kg weight from the vertical part.

Goog luck with your creation!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you actually build this device, you will find that the cable sags under the load so that the angle the cable makes with the top pulley is not the same as the angle between the pulleys, and changes with the position of the 10kg weight. Unless the cable is unrealistically strong and maintained under an unrealistic tension, I don't think you'll be able to find any single weight value that works.

Hi,

Thank you so much for your answer - Would that also mean that if the angle was 15%, then I would only need 2,5 kg?

Nugatory said:
If you actually build this device, you will find that the cable sags under the load so that the angle the cable makes with the top pulley is not the same as the angle between the pulleys, and changes with the position of the 10kg weight. Unless the cable is unrealistically strong and maintained under an unrealistic tension, I don't think you'll be able to find any single weight value that works.

The cable would sag under a bit yes. There should only be strong tension on line A and C.

While before it was calculated with 30 degrees - arent we supposed to calculate with 60 degrees, as that's the actual angle from the top piece?

JinglePeter said:
Hi,

Thank you so much for your answer - Would that also mean that if the angle was 15%, then I would only need 2,5 kg?

10 sin 15° = 2.59

NascentOxygen said:
10 sin 15° = 2.59

Thanks again,

Can you look over the calculation for the first one again? Aren't we supposed to use 60 degrees - as that's the angle for the top pulley?

JinglePeter said:
Thanks again,

Can you look over the calculation for the first one again? Aren't we supposed to use 60 degrees - as that's the angle for the top pulley?

You can use the sine of the side angle or the cosine of the top angle - you'll end up with the same value either way.

1. What is gravitational force at an angle?

Gravitational force at an angle refers to the force of attraction between two objects that are not directly in line with each other. It is the component of the force of gravity that acts in the direction of the angle between the two objects.

2. How is gravitational force at an angle calculated?

The formula for calculating gravitational force at an angle is F = G * (m1 * m2)/r^2 * cosθ, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, r is the distance between them, and θ is the angle between the line connecting the two objects and the line perpendicular to that connecting line.

3. Does the angle between two objects affect the strength of gravitational force?

Yes, the angle between two objects does affect the strength of gravitational force. The force is strongest when the angle between the two objects is 0 degrees (directly in line) and weakest when the angle is 90 degrees (perpendicular).

4. How does distance affect gravitational force at an angle?

Distance has a direct effect on gravitational force at an angle. As the distance between two objects increases, the force of gravity decreases. This is because the force of gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two objects.

5. What are some real-life examples of gravitational force at an angle?

Some examples of gravitational force at an angle include the orbit of planets around the sun, the interaction between the moon and Earth, and the pull of the Earth's gravity on objects on its surface. Additionally, objects sliding or rolling down an inclined plane experience gravitational force at an angle.