Should I Switch from ECE to Physics for my Undergraduate Degree?

• Programs
  • Thread starter exe163
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ece Major
In summary, the conversation discusses a student's decision to transfer to a different college and their hesitation about switching from electrical and computer engineering to physics. The speaker advises against pursuing physics as an undergraduate degree if the ultimate goal is to work in engineering. They also mention the limited job prospects for physics undergraduates and suggest focusing on computer science courses instead. The speaker shares their personal experience and the experiences of their classmates to support their perspective.
exe163
Hello, I am currently a sophomore electrical and computer engineering major at a liberal arts college. I am applying for transfer for next year. Due to the lack of small schools that offer ECE, I am now considering switching to physics. I am not sure if this is a good idea as the things in higher level physics, from what I heard, are hardly applicable to real life, however interesting they are. I most likely will go to graduate school in CS or Computer Engineering. Regardless of where I end up, I will take a lot of CS classes. Is this a good idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
If your doing engineering, don't bother with physics. Don't do what I did and go into physics for an undergrad only to change your mind about graduate school. Getting a job as a physics undergrad is not possible unless your good at something else. Instead do engineering so you know you will have a job coming out of college. This is just my experience and the experience of all my classmates have had. Depending on what your interested in physics for, you may not even see the material your interested in unless you get into grad school or if your school even does that sort of research. Besides, I've done computer engineering and have taken some EE courses. CPE especially has nothing to do with physics.

1. What is the difference between an Ece major and Physics+CS?

An Ece (Electrical and Computer Engineering) major focuses on the design and development of hardware and software systems, while Physics+CS combines the study of physics and computer science to understand and develop computational models for physical systems.

2. How can an Ece major transition to Physics+CS?

It is possible for an Ece major to transition to Physics+CS by taking courses in both subjects and gaining hands-on experience in computational physics. It may also be helpful to participate in research projects that involve both fields.

3. What career opportunities are available for someone with an Ece major and a background in Physics+CS?

With a background in both Ece and Physics+CS, one can pursue careers in various fields, such as robotics, artificial intelligence, data science, and computational physics. Additionally, opportunities may exist in research and development roles in industries such as aerospace, defense, and technology.

4. Are there any specific skills or knowledge that would be helpful for someone interested in both Ece and Physics+CS?

Having a strong foundation in mathematics, programming, and problem-solving skills would be beneficial for someone interested in both Ece and Physics+CS. Additionally, having a curiosity for how things work and an interest in both hardware and software systems would be helpful.

5. How can someone with an Ece major and Physics+CS background contribute to society?

Someone with an Ece major and Physics+CS background can contribute to society by using their knowledge and skills to develop innovative solutions to real-world problems. They can also participate in research projects that aim to advance technology and improve our understanding of the physical world.