1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ece major to Physics+CS?

1. Dec 17, 2011 #1
    Hello, I am currently a sophomore electrical and computer engineering major at a liberal arts college. I am applying for transfer for next year. Due to the lack of small schools that offer ECE, I am now considering switching to physics. I am not sure if this is a good idea as the things in higher level physics, from what I heard, are hardly applicable to real life, however interesting they are. I most likely will go to graduate school in CS or Computer Engineering. Regardless of where I end up, I will take a lot of CS classes. Is this a good idea?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2011 #2
    If your doing engineering, don't bother with physics. Don't do what I did and go into physics for an undergrad only to change your mind about graduate school. Getting a job as a physics undergrad is not possible unless your good at something else. Instead do engineering so you know you will have a job coming out of college. This is just my experience and the experience of all my classmates have had. Depending on what your interested in physics for, you may not even see the material your interested in unless you get into grad school or if your school even does that sort of research. Besides, I've done computer engineering and have taken some EE courses. CPE especially has nothing to do with physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook