Education/knowledge level for Physics Forum discussions

• Thread starter Boffin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing a thread in the Quantum Physics section where the mentors have implied that discussions on photons will only be allowed if the participants have a Ph.D. degree in Physics and have taken advanced courses in QED. The original poster is confused about this requirement and is seeking clarification to avoid embarrassment. Some mentors are expressing frustration with the poster's dismissive attitude towards more advanced concepts, and suggest that this is not a proper discussion but rather a perpetuation of ignorance. The conversation ends with a suggestion to discuss the issue privately and a call for more respectful behavior from one of the mentors.
Boffin
In a thread I started in Quantum Physics section, the mentors implied that they wouldn't be discussing any issues relating to photons unless we had studied and completed the equivalent level of a Ph.D. degree in Physics and had taken advanced courses in QED. I didn't see anything in the Guidelines about such an advanced education being required to discuss on this Forum, at least when discussing on a basic knowledge level. I don't know why but I assumed perhaps these Forums were also used by people either in university or having an undergraduate science degree or equivalent level of understanding. Could someone please clarify this and perhaps put it in the Guidelines. It's embarrasing to post messages only to be told how much of an idiot you are. It would be better to understand the rules to begin with.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ben Wiens said:
In a thread I started in Quantum Physics section, the mentors implied that they wouldn't be discussing any issues relating to photons unless we had studied and completed the equivalent level of a Ph.D. degree in Physics and had taken advanced courses in QED. I didn't see anything in the Guidelines about such an advanced education being required to discuss on this Forum, at least when discussing on a basic knowledge level. I don't know why but I assumed perhaps these Forums were also used by people either in university or having an undergraduate science degree or equivalent level of understanding. Could someone please clarify this and perhaps put it in the Guidelines. It's embarrasing to post messages only to be told how much of an idiot you are. It would be better to understand the rules to begin with.

Then you have completely misunderstood the responses you got.

The objection that some of us had was NOT that you wanted to discuss something. The objection was that you ALREADY made up your mind and proposing so-and-so is not correct, or can't be valid, simply based on YOUR limited understanding. This is what most of the objections were directed to. You dismissed something simply because you didn't understand it. You dissed Feynman simply because you didn't get what he said, or even his body of work. All because it didn't fit into an Intro Physics text that you keep referring to, as IF more advanced coverage of physics doesn't exist.

This wasn't a "discussion". It is simply a means to perpetuate your ignorance. This is clearly covered in the Guidelines under posting guideline.

Zz.

Ben,

Please be reasonable on this. Can you say, in all honesty, that we did not take the effort of explaining our point (as well as the specific answers to your question) in an elaborate manner ? Just count the number of posts in that thread.

marlon

I assume the thing that ben objected to is the sort of tone that zapper z has again adopted here, with capital letters and put downs, e.g., implying the listener is an idiot or a slow child. although i say this with trepidation, based on previous unpleasant experiences with you, I think you should take some anger management classes mr. z, and generally try to show more respect for others. in my opinion your behavior ill suits a mentor.

Hi Ben, I'm sorry you've had a bad experience. This is something that should be discussed via PM. Please contact me or another staff member.

1. What level of education is required to participate in Physics Forum discussions?

There is no specific level of education required to participate in Physics Forum discussions. Anyone with an interest in physics can join and contribute to the discussions.

2. Is it necessary to have a physics background to understand the discussions on the forum?

While a background in physics can be helpful, it is not necessary to understand the discussions on the forum. Many discussions are open to people of all levels of knowledge and there are often explanations and resources provided for those who may not have a strong physics background.

3. Are there any specific topics or areas of physics that are discussed on the forum?

The forum covers a broad range of topics in physics, including classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, astrophysics, and more. Users are also welcome to start discussions on any topic related to physics that they are interested in.

4. Can I ask for help with specific problems or homework on the forum?

While the forum is not intended to be a platform for homework help, users are welcome to ask for clarification on concepts or theoretical questions. However, it is important to make an effort to understand the problem and show your own work before asking for assistance.

5. How can I improve my knowledge and understanding of physics through participating in the forum?

Participating in discussions on the forum is a great way to learn from others and gain a deeper understanding of physics. You can also browse through past discussions and read articles and resources shared by other members. Additionally, actively engaging in discussions and asking questions can help you strengthen your critical thinking and problem-solving skills.