Are there any EE textbooks comparable to the renowned Feynman Lectures?

In summary: Both are very physical and intuitive, with clear explanations and examples. In summary, There is no exact equivalent to the Feynman lectures for Electrical Engineering, but some recommended books that cover core EE topics include The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill, Microelectronics by Sedra and Smith, Schaum's Outlines series, and Design of Analog Filters. The Science of Radio by Nahin is also recommended for its historical approach. For electromagnetic theory, Feynman's lectures, Griffith's Electrodynamics, and Wangsness' Electromagnetic Fields are suggested resources.
E_M_C
Hello,

I'm wondering if there are a series of books, analogous to the Feynman Lectures, for Electrical Engineering. The Feynman Lectures (as many of you know) are clear and concise, and nutshell a great deal of typical undergraduate study. A student can read these lectures from cover to cover, and walk into (just about) any undergraduate physics class, and not be "shocked" by any of the material presented.

I'm looking for a series of EE books (if they exist) that have similar qualities, so that after having read the series, I could walk into any undergraduate EE class and not be "shocked" by any of the presented material.

Preferably, it would be nice if someone could recommend a series written by the same author(s) for the sake of consistency. But if anyone can recommend a series of books by different authors that does the same trick, I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
There isn't an EE Analog to Feynman as far as I know.

The Art of Electronics is an amazing book, basically a bible for electronics, 1000+ pages.

I enjoyed the book by Sedra and Smith on Microelectronics.

I think the Schaums outlines of Electric Circuits, Electronics, and Digital Principles were pretty good books in their own right.

Design of Analog Filters was a pretty decent book as well.

With the exception of maybe the Art of Electronics these are a far cry from an EE Feynman lectures, but if you read the Feynman lectures he actually goes into detail about several EE topics such as power systems, filter design, transistor circuits, and more so you'd be well served reading those as well.

I agree that there isn't really an equivalent for EE. Perhaps there should be! Anyway, in my opinion the core topics every EE should know at least something about are:
analog circuits and electronics
digital electronics including how cpus and/or microcontrollers work
electromagnetic theory: especially wave propagation, transmission lines, antennas
signals and systems and basic DSP
probability and elementary random processes (so we understand how noise works ...)

in principle the basics of all of this could be made into a 1.5 year "lectures" type format, I would think, but I certainly would not be the one to do it! IF you find something like this let us know!

IN my opinion, a fun book that has a little of the flavor of Feynman, except that it has TONS of history in it as well, is "the science of radio" by Nahin. It assumes you have had calculus and freshman physics, and covers some circuits, electronics, analog signals and systems, some communications stuff, etc. Very interesting, with fun and mind-stretching examples, and wonderful history. Is analog only, though (no digital). Highly recommended! It is in no way "complete" the way Feynman is for intro physics, but it is great for a first course in EE that has an analog emphasis.

jason

Thank you both for the suggestions! I'll definitely check them out.

In addition to the above, for electromagnetic theory, the actual feynman lectures aren't a bad place for that. Volume 2 is pretty much a complete treatment of the subject.

Griffith's Electrodynamics and Wangsness' Electromagnetic Fields are great E&M textbooks.

1. What is EE Analog to Feynman Lectures?

EE Analog to Feynman Lectures is a series of lectures that aim to explain the fundamental concepts of electrical engineering using analogies and examples from Richard Feynman's famous physics lectures. These lectures cover topics such as circuits, electromagnetism, and electronics in an accessible and engaging manner.

2. Who is Richard Feynman?

Richard Feynman was a renowned physicist and Nobel laureate who is known for his contributions to quantum mechanics, quantum electrodynamics, and particle physics. He was also a great teacher and communicator, known for his ability to explain complex scientific concepts in a simple and intuitive way.

3. How does EE Analog to Feynman Lectures differ from traditional electrical engineering lectures?

EE Analog to Feynman Lectures takes a more conceptual approach to teaching electrical engineering, focusing on building a deep understanding of the fundamental principles rather than memorizing equations and formulas. It also uses analogies and real-world examples to make the concepts more relatable and easier to grasp.

4. Are the EE Analog to Feynman Lectures suitable for beginners in electrical engineering?

Yes, the lectures are designed for students with little to no background in electrical engineering. The analogies and examples used make the concepts easier to understand, and the lectures build upon each other to gradually introduce more advanced topics.

5. Can I use EE Analog to Feynman Lectures as a supplement to my traditional electrical engineering courses?

Yes, the lectures can be a valuable supplement to traditional courses. They can provide a different perspective on the material and help build a stronger conceptual understanding of the subject. However, it is important to consult with your instructor to ensure that the material covered in the lectures aligns with your course curriculum.