1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EE Analog to Feynman Lectures

1. Aug 22, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I'm wondering if there are a series of books, analogous to the Feynman Lectures, for Electrical Engineering. The Feynman Lectures (as many of you know) are clear and concise, and nutshell a great deal of typical undergraduate study. A student can read these lectures from cover to cover, and walk into (just about) any undergraduate physics class, and not be "shocked" by any of the material presented.

I'm looking for a series of EE books (if they exist) that have similar qualities, so that after having read the series, I could walk into any undergraduate EE class and not be "shocked" by any of the presented material.

Preferably, it would be nice if someone could recommend a series written by the same author(s) for the sake of consistency. But if anyone can recommend a series of books by different authors that does the same trick, I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2012 #2
    There isn't an EE Analog to Feynman as far as I know.

The Art of Electronics is an amazing book, basically a bible for electronics, 1000+ pages.

I enjoyed the book by Sedra and Smith on Microelectronics.

I think the Schaums outlines of Electric Circuits, Electronics, and Digital Principles were pretty good books in their own right.

Design of Analog Filters was a pretty decent book as well.

With the exception of maybe the Art of Electronics these are a far cry from an EE Feynman lectures, but if you read the Feynman lectures he actually goes into detail about several EE topics such as power systems, filter design, transistor circuits, and more so you'd be well served reading those as well.

4. Aug 27, 2012 #3

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree that there isn't really an equivalent for EE. Perhaps there should be! Anyway, in my opinion the core topics every EE should know at least something about are:
    analog circuits and electronics
    digital electronics including how cpus and/or microcontrollers work
    electromagnetic theory: especially wave propagation, transmission lines, antennas
    signals and systems and basic DSP
    probability and elementary random processes (so we understand how noise works ...)

in principle the basics of all of this could be made into a 1.5 year "lectures" type format, I would think, but I certainly would not be the one to do it! IF you find something like this let us know!

IN my opinion, a fun book that has a little of the flavor of Feynman, except that it has TONS of history in it as well, is "the science of radio" by Nahin. It assumes you have had calculus and freshman physics, and covers some circuits, electronics, analog signals and systems, some communications stuff, etc. Very interesting, with fun and mind-stretching examples, and wonderful history. Is analog only, though (no digital). Highly recommended! It is in no way "complete" the way Feynman is for intro physics, but it is great for a first course in EE that has an analog emphasis.

jason

5. Aug 31, 2012 #4
    Thank you both for the suggestions! I'll definitely check them out.

6. Sep 6, 2012 #5
    In addition to the above, for electromagnetic theory, the actual feynman lectures aren't a bad place for that. Volume 2 is pretty much a complete treatment of the subject.

7. Sep 6, 2012 #6
    Griffith's Electrodynamics and Wangsness' Electromagnetic Fields are great E&M textbooks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook