EE undergrad looking for grad school advice

In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate electrical engineering student who is hoping to go to graduate school either for further development of their EE skills or for a different field such as economics. They have a 3.08 GPA after starting with a 2.6 GPA in their freshman year due to partying and having a poor semester in their junior year. However, they have since improved and are confident in their GRE scores. They are currently working on an internship and hoping to secure a research position in the fall. They are worried about their chances of getting into a good graduate program, but the other speaker reassures them based on their own experience with a similar GPA and upward trend.
hugheyst
Hello PF,

I'm currently an undergrad electrical engineering student at a large state university. I am hoping very much to go to graduate school, either for further development of my EE skills, or for something different such as economics.

My situation is this: I will be a fifth-year senior this fall. I have a 3.08 GPA after having a 2.6 freshman year as a journalism major (partied far too much), and junior year I had a very poor fall in my first semester taking basic circuits, diffeq, etc. (2.5 semester GPA; I was distracted). I have since undergone much maturation and I've applied myself to the tune of a 3.3 last fall and a 3.9 in the spring in upper-level ECE courses. I am very confident that I will score in >= 90th percentile on the GRE, both quantitative and verbal. I am currently working on an internship, and I'm hoping to parlay my experience into a research position this fall.

I'm worried that I will not be able to gain admission to a good-quality graduate program with my resume. I would greatly appreciate advice from those experienced in graduate education or with anecdotal advice from a friend or colleague.

Physics news on Phys.org
With a 3.08 overall and a recent upward trend, you should be fine. Especially consider your current university - they would probably be happy to keep you for graduate school

I graduated in engineering with about a 3.20 overall with an upward trend my junior and senior years. I was admitted to graduate school at three major universities with full funding.

Thank you for your reply. That is very encouraging! I will continue to work hard in school and hopefully I will be able to replicate your success.

1. What are the key factors to consider when choosing a graduate program for Electrical Engineering?

Some key factors to consider when choosing a graduate program for Electrical Engineering include the reputation and ranking of the program, the research opportunities and faculty expertise, the location and cost of the program, and the availability of financial aid and scholarships.

2. How important are research opportunities in a graduate program for Electrical Engineering?

Research opportunities are extremely important in a graduate program for Electrical Engineering as they allow you to gain hands-on experience and develop advanced skills in your field. Additionally, research experience can make you a more competitive candidate for jobs and future academic positions.

3. What are some ways to stand out in the application process for graduate school in Electrical Engineering?

Some ways to stand out in the application process for graduate school in Electrical Engineering include having a strong academic record, relevant research experience, strong letters of recommendation, and a clear and well-written personal statement. Additionally, participating in extracurricular activities related to your field and showcasing your leadership skills can also make you stand out.

4. Is it necessary to have a specific focus or specialization in mind when applying to graduate school for Electrical Engineering?

It is not necessary to have a specific focus or specialization in mind when applying to graduate school for Electrical Engineering, as many programs allow students to explore different areas before choosing a concentration. However, having a general idea of your interests and goals can help you choose the right program and research opportunities.

5. How can I find a mentor or advisor in a graduate program for Electrical Engineering?

You can find a mentor or advisor in a graduate program for Electrical Engineering by networking with professors and students in your field, attending research conferences and events, and reaching out to potential advisors through email or phone. It is also important to research the faculty at the program you are interested in and see if their research aligns with your interests.